+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residents moving from BC to Alberta - 3 months until being covered?

Eisuk

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
Hi guys,

Hope you are all healthy during these difficult times.

We would really appreciate your help: Me and my wife are thinking of moving to Alberta from BC around July (many reasons why during COVID-19...), we are both Permanent Residents.
From what we have read, there is a waiting time of 3 months from the day we establish our residency in Alberta to be covered. We would be eligible from day 1 as we have a place to stay / rent that will provide us with rental agreement to apply for the coverage. We also read about possible reimbursement if we need a medical help within those 3 months but how does it really work? If we moved on July 1st, we would be covered from October 1st but we are bit concerned what happens if we i.e. get COVID-19 and need an emergency care before October 1st.
We are planning on moving to Alberta permanently or at least for definitely longer than 12 months.

We were thinking of applying for it in May with the rental agreement given prematurely by a future landlord with an earlier date but we also read we cannot obtain benefits from "previous" province. That would rule us out from BC coverage for 2 months.

Help appreciated (might decide on our move, too).

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It’s 3 months to qualify for AHCIC if you move from BC. Your BC Health coverage will cover you for the three months until you qualify.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

Hope you are all healthy during these difficult times.

We would really appreciate your help: Me and my wife are thinking of moving to Alberta from BC around July (many reasons why during COVID-19...), we are both Permanent Residents.
From what we have read, there is a waiting time of 3 months from the day we establish our residency in Alberta to be covered. We would be eligible from day 1 as we have a place to stay / rent that will provide us with rental agreement to apply for the coverage. We also read about possible reimbursement if we need a medical help within those 3 months but how does it really work? If we moved on July 1st, we would be covered from October 1st but we are bit concerned what happens if we i.e. get COVID-19 and need an emergency care before October 1st.
We are planning on moving to Alberta permanently or at least for definitely longer than 12 months.

We were thinking of applying for it in May with the rental agreement given prematurely by a future landlord with an earlier date but we also read we cannot obtain benefits from "previous" province. That would rule us out from BC coverage for 2 months.

Help appreciated (might decide on our move, too).
Given the economy I hope you have jobs before heading to Alberta especially some areas.

Eisuk

Star Member
Jul 5, 2019
we were
Given the economy I hope you have jobs before heading to Alberta especially some areas.
does it affect the Health Coverage?
we were planning on having 2-3 months off in Alberta before working anyways so lack of jobs atm does not affect us until September at this stage.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
we were

we were planning on having 2-3 months off in Alberta before working anyways so lack of jobs atm does not affect us until September at this stage.
No, your employment situation has no effect on qualifying for health coverage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
we were

Finding a job in Alberta has more to do with reduced oil prices and major cutbacks from the provincial government. Covid has added more issues. Would make sure you have really researched the job markets in the area you are moving. If you have employment already it is always risky to move without securing at least one job if you are a dual income household. People see lower cost of living in Alberta but without a job having a lower cost of living isn’t that helpful. In general I wouldn’t suggest that people move without employment unless they are living with family or have at least 6 months of savings. If you are making minimum wage the risk is lower but even lower wage jobs may be harder to find these days. Given the major economic issues it is really risky to leave a job at the moment.