+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency status

Ali79

Jun 21, 2012
Hi guys,

Looking for an expert opinion on my permanent residency status. I am unsure of what to expect given I keep hearing things are getting strict in Canada w.r.t permanent residency status. I became a PR on May 28 2008. I lived in Canada for close to 3,5 years before moving to Norway for a job in August 2011. I have however crossed well over 730 days which qualifies me for a PR renewal. I traveled to Canada in March 2013 to file my renewal application and then had to rush back to Norway. I am now extremely curious if my application will go through or will I face some trouble in getting my PR card renewal. I submitted the entire copy of my passport as requested but no other documents. As per the CIC website my application is in process. I am just extremely nervous if they can disqualify my application on grounds that I am currently no longer in Canada?

Do you guys have an opinion for me?

PR on May 28 2008
Left Canada on August 01 2011
Made three trips to Canada from August 01 2011 to March 2013, each trip roughly 10-15 days
Applied PR renewal March 24 2013

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to reach CIC on phone from outside Canada?

Thanks,
A.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you have 730 days in the past 5 years, they should renew your PR. However, the processing time is around 3 months so that is probably why you haven't heard back yet.

Keep in mind that the residency requirements is 730 days in any rolling 5 yr. period so in order to continue to meet the residency requirements in the future, you will need to move back to Canada in Sept. next year as your 3 yrs. allowed outside will be up.

Ali79

Jun 21, 2012
Thanks Leon.

I am also worried if I will be one of those random people to be called in for a pick up, in which case I will not be in Canada at the moment. Do you know what are the situations where they must call in someone to pick up the PR card?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they call you to pick it up, you will have to go and pick it up. I suppose you gave an address in Canada where they can mail your PR card to? If you get a letter to this address stating that you have an appointment to pick up your PR card and you can not make that appointment, you should let them know and try to schedule another appointment that will work for you. If you do not pick up your PR card, the local office will send it back to immigration headquarters after about 6 months and they will destroy it and you will have to apply again.

As for calling CIC from outside Canada, I have heard that this number works:

It is possible to reach the CIC call centre from outside Canada via Foreign Affairs Canada:

+1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: options 1,2,1,2,1 ... then 0 to skip the message)

However, don't tell them that you are calling from outside Canada because you are not supposed to be able to.