+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency Spousal Sponsorship Open Work Permit ETA

MicMacle

Apr 13, 2017
Hello,

I'll try to make this short and simple.

I'm a Canadian citizen and my husband is American. He submitted a Permanent Residency application through Spousal Sponsorship from within Canada and it was received by CIC on November 9th, 2016. In our package we put everything in it, from Permanent Residency application to Open Work Permit application.

We both received an email a few weeks after that, both with the same Application number. When we check our status using that application number online, it only tells us "We received your application for permanent residence on November 9, 2016."

When we were organizing the application and package we paid a CIC consultant to help us put everything together. He, and the online processing time tool, said the estimated processing time for the open work permit is 4 months, or 18 weeks. We are now at 5 months, or 22 weeks, with no word from CIC, and are getting worried as we were hoping he would be working around this time (currently I am providing for him).

We are fine if it takes another month or so to process (that's what estimated means, right?), but our concern is they haven't even seen, received, or begun processing the open work permit, and it might take an additional 4 months/18 weeks to process from when they do notice it (if they haven't). We have tried calling numerous times a day every day for the past 2 weeks but the lines always say they are busy and won't even put us on hold. We are confused with if the application number they gave us (and the respective status for it we can see online) are for the Permanent Residency/Spousal Sponsorship application, and not the Open Work Permit application which we bundled in with our application as per recommendation from our consultant.

Furthermore, we received an email this week asking for us to send in a Police Certificate "if" we "haven't yet already", which we are positive we did (and haven't been told otherwise). The email is vague as we are not sure if they have it or not, or if they need a new one. Does this give any clue to them being close to done processing the work permit or not at all? Getting another Police Certificate could take another 3+ months which means we could be looking at 8 or so months until we receive a work permit.

Again, we've tried calling numerous times and aren't getting through. We don't know where else to turn. We just want some sort of verification on some things outside of how vague everything seems. Does anyone have any advice or information to relate to? Should we be concerned? Is there somewhere else we can contact if calling (and here) isn't the right place?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Post your question to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. You'll get far more replies there.

It is unusual for the OWP to take this long. I assume your husband had status in Canada when you submitted the application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FYI - bundling the OWP application with the inland sponsorship application was the right thing to do. So you're good there. You can't track the OWP separately.

MicMacle

Apr 13, 2017
FYI - bundling the OWP application with the inland sponsorship application was the right thing to do. So you're good there. You can't track the OWP separately.
Well that's good to hear, at least.

Post your question to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum. You'll get far more replies there.

It is unusual for the OWP to take this long. I assume your husband had status in Canada when you submitted the application?
Okay, will do.

He has been staying with me but does not have any form of visa or permit as an American citizen just visiting Canada.

He typically comes to visit me for 4-5 months, goes back to USA for 1-2 months, and then comes back to Canada to repeat. He was in Canada when the application was sent and submitted late October/early November (he went back for Christmas in December).

Our CIC consultant recommended applying for the Open Work Permit with our Permanent Residency application to avoid excessive back and forth travel as he should be in Canada for as much as possible (since it is a "from within Canada" application after all), and there is a risk that he can be denied entry. He could not apply for a regular work permit or study permit which is why we applied for an open work permit, hoping we wouldn't need him to go back to USA every 4-5 months and that we'd have the permit before the end of his current visitor status (July). We're 5 months in now and word though.

Besides it being unusually long, have we at least received the right amount of word via email from CIC on the Open Work Permit? (i.e. none)

MicMacle

Apr 13, 2017
Thank you for the references.

Just to update:

It appears someone in Ontario (possibly closer to where they mail the OWP? I'm in Vancouver) who submitted their application a week after me received their OWP 2 days ago. This is the best news I've heard so far (also received the same PCC email as me on the same day) but has me concerned for if I don't receive an OWP in the next week or two. I wonder what I do then?