+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency PEP meds

Shino2018

Sep 19, 2018
Hello everyone,

First, I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place. In fact, I have a question that worries me for a while now. I have been almost 1 years since I applied for RP on the federal side (I had the CSQ in the PEQ program because I studied in Quebec). Soon I will be asked to take the medical exam. My current situation: I am a skilled worker in Quebec, and I recently had an unprotected relationship that led me to see a doctor to prescribe a drug that eliminates the HIV virus (if I am contaminated) and which must be applied within 72 hours after the relationship. In other words, I take this medicine by doubts and for prevention. I keep taking it until 28 days. It's the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) that costs about $ 850. I read that people with HIV can be denied on the basis of an excessive demand on the Canadian medical system. In the case where I pass the medical exam, say in a month, and in case I am not infected with HIV and I no longer take the PEP medication, is the simple fact that I took this kind of medication after making an unprotected relationship, may impact my medical exam and accordingly my PR application? Is the history of diseases / tests / prescriptions taken into consideration during the medical examination? Thank you in advance and I apologize again if I'm in the wrong places :)

Reactions: Jagerpapi

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume you are taking Truvada. Your use of Truvada will really increase your total medical costs. In general it is taking on a daily basis and not just for a month. Many people with HIV are still accepted as PR it all depends on their individual medical costs. Passing the medical inadmissibility criteria is dependent on the cost of your overall healthcare including appointments, tests, medications, etc. Your previous use of the Canadian health care system as well as the medical exam will influence whether you pass the medical inadmissibility criteria. You will have to consider your use of the system and whether you have any health problem. Pretty sure you mean PrEP not PEP but it is obviously much better to use PrEP than to get HIV. The high monthly cost will add up so depending on your other healthcare costs I would practice safe sex if that is an option. Remaining HIV- is much more important than getting PR so I don't want you not to take PrEP if you feel like it is beneficial for you.

Shino2018

Sep 19, 2018
Hello,

Thank you for you reply. However I m taking PEP and not PrEP. The POST exposure prophylaxis is taken after unprotected sex and HIV+ partner as the name indicates, the PrEP is taking before sex. Not after. So taking the PEP is a one time thing, not regular as the PrEP or the HIV+ drugs. I would take it again if I expose myself once again to risky sex. I m assuming I will have no trouble when it comes to excessive use of medical system for few reasons: first the drug I m taking is a one time thing and would take it again only if I expose myself. Second, the threshold has been raised to almost 20k per year since 1 june 2018 (just figured this out), so a majority of HIV+ persons will get their PR from now on since the cost of HIV drugs is way less than 20k (not talking about myself here cause I m negative until next blood test in few weeks). Third, I work in desjardins, and I have all my medecin expenses covered to 80% by desjardins insurance + many othetr expenses such as 10k when employee gets a disease...Anyway that is what I figured out, then will see what the immigration agent will do :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry I misread. If you have to take a course of HIV drugs for a month it should fine. Some HIV+ patients who are on newer cocktail drugs do get refused but the majority qualified under the previous cut-off because of generic drugs. It also depends on whether the person has other health issue related or not related to their HIV status. Although you have insurance the total cost of your medication is considered because you could lose insurance at any time. Best of luck.

Jagerpapi

Jan 13, 2022
Hello everyone,

First, I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place. In fact, I have a question that worries me for a while now. I have been almost 1 years since I applied for RP on the federal side (I had the CSQ in the PEQ program because I studied in Quebec). Soon I will be asked to take the medical exam. My current situation: I am a skilled worker in Quebec, and I recently had an unprotected relationship that led me to see a doctor to prescribe a drug that eliminates the HIV virus (if I am contaminated) and which must be applied within 72 hours after the relationship.
Hello everyone,

First, I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place. In fact, I have a question that worries me for a while now. I have been almost 1 years since I applied for RP on the federal side (I had the CSQ in the PEQ program because I studied in Quebec). Soon I will be asked to take the medical exam. My current situation: I am a skilled worker in Quebec, and I recently had an unprotected relationship that led me to see a doctor to prescribe a drug that eliminates the HIV virus (if I am contaminated) and which must be applied within 72 hours after the relationship. In other words, I take this medicine by doubts and for prevention. I keep taking it until 28 days. It's the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) that costs about $ 850. I read that people with HIV can be denied on the basis of an excessive demand on the Canadian medical system. In the case where I pass the medical exam, say in a month, and in case I am not infected with HIV and I no longer take the PEP medication, is the simple fact that I took this kind of medication after making an unprotected relationship, may impact my medical exam and accordingly my PR application? Is the history of diseases / tests / prescriptions taken into consideration during the medical examination? Thank you in advance and I apologize again if I'm in the wrong places :)
Hey I am in kinda same situation as you. Can you please update on what happened with your PR application? Please