+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residence to Skilled worker with Thalassemia major

NishM

May 7, 2016
hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have a lot of queries in mind regarding my eligibility for a PR to canada as a skilled worker. I'm a person with Thalassemia major and I receive blood transfusion in every 15-20 days. I'm very keen in moving to Canada as a skilled worker for which my score makes me completely eligible. But, I'm apprehensive about my medical condition though at present I'm at a healthy state. I request you all to share your experiences and try to throw some light over issues mentioned below:

1. Will embassy consider a person with thalassemia medically fit for getting a PR?
2. Do I have a chance of migrating to Canada with my existing condition?
3. What about after getting a PR? Will I be eligible for all the medical benefits?
4. What can be the cost of treatment? No cost, nominal or very expensive?
5. Will govt. of Canada provide an insurance to people with thalassemia and sponsor their treatment?

Any other information regarding the same is most welcomed. Please feel free to share your knowledge. I will be highly obliged.

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately your chances of successfully migrating to Canada are likely extremely low. CIC will most likely determine that your medical condition will create a burden on the Canadian health care system. If you apply, you should expect to receive a letter from CIC intending to deny you since the costs of your care will well exceed the allowed $6,500 per year level. If you are successful in getting PR the costs of your treatments would be covered by the health care system. But again, I think it's extremely unlikely given your blood transfusions alone would probably cost the system around $20K per year.

walthal

Jan 30, 2018
I also score high on skilled class but I am thalassemia major. Even though I have excellent health and good economic profile(I work in investment industry), I guess I will have to fight a tough battle in case I am put under that 'excessive demand' umbrella. However, I also saw a recent news (Dec'17) http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/CIMM/report-15/ that parliamentary committee is asking to repeal the 'excessive demand' clause. I would be grateful if someone can tell how significant such recommendations are and how long it may take to put this into effect?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unfortunately, recommendations from parliamentary committees aren’t binding and political climate plays as much or more in these decisions. IMO, the general public’s opinion for immigrants and refugees has always been one of concern with social benefits and abuses (the few make it tough for everyone else). It would likely be years before any changes were made.
You would need to back up any medical inadmissibility with particularly strong evidence your condition wouldn’t exceed the $6500 limit for the next 10 years, either for medical or other social services costs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I also score high on skilled class but I am thalassemia major. Even though I have excellent health and good economic profile(I work in investment industry), I guess I will have to fight a tough battle in case I am put under that 'excessive demand' umbrella. However, I also saw a recent news (Dec'17) http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/CIMM/report-15/ that parliamentary committee is asking to repeal the 'excessive demand' clause. I would be grateful if someone can tell how significant such recommendations are and how long it may take to put this into effect?
It is very unlikely that rules regarding Excessive Demand will be repealed. Our health/social welfare systems are already stretched to the breaking point and Canadians will not support bringing in more people with expensive health conditions.

walthal

Jan 30, 2018
Unfortunately, recommendations from parliamentary committees aren’t binding and political climate plays as much or more in these decisions. IMO, the general public’s opinion for immigrants and refugees has always been one of concern with social benefits and abuses (the few make it tough for everyone else). It would likely be years before any changes were made.
You would need to back up any medical inadmissibility with particularly strong evidence your condition wouldn’t exceed the $6500 limit for the next 10 years, either for medical or other social services costs.

Thanks Buletruck--If I think about cost incurred per my hospital visit than it will surely be above that limit and maybe around $20,000. However, in a recent case, Court held that when all the system and infrastructure is in place, the cost to treat for example a sickle cell anemia patient is incremental and should not be considered on a stand alone basis. I really do not know at the moment what view can be taken for monthly transfusion of 2 pints. But I think I can perhaps put a comprehensive cost mitigation plan? Is there a way to buy medical insurance before even coming to Canada?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks Buletruck--If I think about cost incurred per my hospital visit than it will surely be above that limit and maybe around $20,000. However, in a recent case, Court held that when all the system and infrastructure is in place, the cost to treat for example a sickle cell anemia patient is incremental and should not be considered on a stand alone basis. I really do not know at the moment what view can be taken for monthly transfusion of 2 pints. But I think I can perhaps put a comprehensive cost mitigation plan? Is there a way to buy medical insurance before even coming to Canada?
Insurance may not help your case, since once you became a PR you could just cancel your insurance plan and rely entirely on the Canadian healthcare system. There are no legal means for IRCC to force you to continuing using insurance, and the visa officers know this.

Insurance to cover regularly scheduled procedures and meds for an existing condition, will be incredibly expensive if not impossible to obtain. Most likely would be even more expensive than just paying for the meds and procedures yourself (since the insurance companies are not a charity and need to make a profit).

Gaurzy

May 27, 2018
hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have a lot of queries in mind regarding my eligibility for a PR to canada as a skilled worker. I'm a person with Thalassemia major and I receive blood transfusion in every 15-20 days. I'm very keen in moving to Canada as a skilled worker for which my score makes me completely eligible. But, I'm apprehensive about my medical condition though at present I'm at a healthy state. I request you all to share your experiences and try to throw some light over issues mentioned below:

1. Will embassy consider a person with thalassemia medically fit for getting a PR?
3. What about after getting a PR? Will I be eligible for all the medical benefits?
5. Will govt. of Canada provide an insurance to people with thalassemia and sponsor their treatment?

Any other information regarding the same is most welcomed. Please feel free to share your knowledge. I will be highly obliged.

Thanks in advance
Hi

I am having the same medical condition. Can you please guide me about the current status of your PR..

Did you applied ?

Regards
Gaurav

ahsan_thala

Sep 6, 2021
hello everyone,

Thanks in advance
I am having the same medical condition. Can you please guide me about the current status of your PR is it approved
are you getting the treatment there?

regards