+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paths to PR from Philippines

tasfalen

Sep 19, 2014
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked before or in some form.

We have a friend in the Philippines that would like to come to Canada. Previously we had been looking at the caregiver path but obviously this has changed.

They have a caregiver certification from PH, and unrelated (business) bachelor degree. They also have dependents but could come alone while working towards immigration.

We would still be interested in helping, as a nanny for our toddler. But we are also interested in any other options if there's anything better/more feasible now.

I have a sole proprietorship (established since 1995) working in IT.

Student visa/studying in Canada could also be an option.

• Does anyone have any insight?
  • Is the nanny option as low-wage stream, temporary foreign worker still the most likely?
  • Has anyone had experience with a nanny/caregiver in the new TFW scheme?
  • Are we anticipating any changes from Trudeau? it doesn't look like it :(
  • Has anyone had experience with CanadaVisa in this, recently?

Appreciate any and all comments/questions, costs, experience-hoping to consolidate some info as my head is swimming.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The live-in caregiver / nanny stream certainly sounds doable - but it's long and it means the family will have to separate. It will involve first working in Canada for two years as a TFW (during which time the family cannot accompany) - then a four year wait for PR. Unfortunately there's really no short cut to more research (apart from hiring an immigration consultant or lawyer). There are a number of programs they might qualify under apart from the nanny stream - but will have to read through them to understand the requirements and assess if they qualify: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

tasfalen

Sep 19, 2014
Thanks, yes, has anyone had experience with this in the new scheme (since the live-in-caregiver program was removed)? i.e. timelines, personal experience?

It all looks fairly straightforward but would love to hear from someone that's done this. Would also appreciate pointers to any relevant threads but I've had difficulty finding them-mostly discussion about applications under the old program rather than the more general TFW route now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tasfalen said:
Thanks, yes, has anyone had experience with this in the new scheme (since the live-in-caregiver program was removed)? i.e. timelines, personal experience?

It all looks fairly straightforward but would love to hear from someone that's done this. Would also appreciate pointers to any relevant threads but I've had difficulty finding them-mostly discussion about applications under the old program rather than the more general TFW route now.
I'm not sure what you mean by the more general TFW route. If you're referring to Express Entry - those discussions are in the Express Entry section of the forum (top of the forum). Note that nanny experience doesn't qualify under EE - only skilled experience.

tasfalen

Sep 19, 2014
I mean, helping them apply as a TFW, in a nanny/caregiver position. i.e. doing the LMO, posting the position, etc.

I understand that the special live-in-caregiver program is no longer an option (as of I think it was November last year)?