+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passports validity overlaps 4 years due to name change

JustCitizen

May 26, 2021
Hi All,

My wife had her first passport back in 2015 which was valid for 5 years (until 2020) then after marriage in 2016 she changed her last name and got her new passport in 2016 with updated name. Old passport automatically invalidated once new passport was issued. Now both passports are within the eligible 5 years and according to the bio pages both passports overlap 4 years. My understanding is, we have to put passport validity dates in the form as per the bio pages, so I am little confused about what should I do.

Should I explain it separately somehow or can I use the comment box which is available just under the passport details section of the application form? or should I not say anything and just put dates as per the bio pages and let it be overlapped? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks .

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi All,

My wife had her first passport back in 2015 which was valid for 5 years (until 2020) then after marriage in 2016 she changed her last name and got her new passport in 2016 with updated name. Old passport automatically invalidated once new passport was issued. Now both passports are within the eligible 5 years and according to the bio pages both passports overlap 4 years. My understanding is, we have to put passport validity dates in the form as per the bio pages, so I am little confused about what should I do.

Should I explain it separately somehow or can I use the comment box which is available just under the passport details section of the application form? or should I not say anything and just put dates as per the bio pages and let it be overlapped? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks .
Put the validity dates on the passport as per the bio page. You can add a Letter of Explanation mentioning that the old passport was "Cancelled" because a new passport was issued after that.

abrakadabra

Oct 21, 2016
Put the validity dates on the passport as per the bio page. You can add a Letter of Explanation mentioning that the old passport was "Cancelled" because a new passport was issued after that.
I am in the same situation, sent both copies of 2 passports and the name change certificate (I changed my first and last names)