+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport scanning machine at the airport never works with my Canadian passport

amlajune

Mar 30, 2021
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of at the end of my rope with this issue.

I got my Canadian passport in 2018. Since then, every time I try to enter the country using the passport scanning machines, I always encounter problems. Like everyone else, I insert my customs form into the machine, I then scan my passport, I follow the prompts on the screen, then I get an error telling me to go to a desk agent (or it prints out a sheet that says INC on it).

This never used to happen with my PR card!

I suspect the problem might have something to do with my name being too long (I actually have a letter missing from my name because of the character limit and my full name is printed on a sticker on a separate page), but surely their technology isn't bested by a long name. Anyone have an idea how I can figure out what's wrong with my passport? Passport Canada have no idea.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of at the end of my rope with this issue.

I got my Canadian passport in 2018. Since then, every time I try to enter the country using the passport scanning machines, I always encounter problems. Like everyone else, I insert my customs form into the machine, I then scan my passport, I follow the prompts on the screen, then I get an error telling me to go to a desk agent (or it prints out a sheet that says INC on it).

This never used to happen with my PR card!

I suspect the problem might have something to do with my name being too long (I actually have a letter missing from my name because of the character limit and my full name is printed on a sticker on a separate page), but surely their technology isn't bested by a long name. Anyone have an idea how I can figure out what's wrong with my passport? Passport Canada have no idea.
I don't insert the customs form anymore into the machine. Each time, I touch screen I was the only traveler, choose my language and started to scan my passport and completed all sorts of questions on the screen including whether or not I have covid symptoms. Prompted me to take off my glasses and take picture. Afterwards, the machine will print out my declaration slip with my photograph in B/W.

I suspect you used the old machine type and haven't traveled lately (especially during covid)..

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Btw, which airport is still using the older passport scanning machines?

Pattoy

May 14, 2019
Are you sure the issue is not with unscanned passport? Sometime new unscanned passport gives such challenge

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you sure the issue is not with unscanned passport? Sometime new unscanned passport gives such challenge
Perhaps you don't scan your passport properly. Btw, do you still insert your custom form in the machine. If so, which airport?