+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewal and COPR

Harshas114

Sep 17, 2021
If you have. valid visa and cOPR, even if you renewed your passport, you can travel and you do not have to inform IRCC.

Only if your PR visa / cOPR has expired, that you have to get it renewed.

Once the COPR is issued, the application is closed. If you renew your passport after this, it cannot be updated in the application.

Also, if you have a valid PR visa in your old passport, you can still travel with the visa and the new passport. You will though have to carry both passports.
Hi @legalfalcon ,

does this hold good even now? I am in similar situation. We got our CoPR a week ago, I am planning to renew my passport as it has only little more than 6 months for expiry and planning to travel with a month. to avoid passport renewal procedure in Canada (which might take time as I have to provide Canadian permanent address proof), I am thinking to renew my passport before travel.
Do we have to inform IRCC about this?
and will it cause any issue at Port of Entry?

I am aware that I should be carrying both the passports while travelling.
Please help as I have to start my job within a month in Canada.

CharitySer

Jul 1, 2023
Hi @legalfalcon ! My COPR will expire on 8th of August . I'm waiting for my child's visa . What will happen if my COPR will expire by the time my child has a PPR for stamp ? Thank you for an urgent reply.

Apate157

May 11, 2020
Hello everyone,

I went to BLS (Toronto) for my passport renewal application. I was told I need to submit ECOPR/ landing paper along with my PR card and application. Apparently, I didn't save eCOPR because it was on the portal so I just confirmed it and sent my digital photo with other information at that time after receiving eCOPR. Also, I received my PR in Canada. I checked on the portal of IRCC but account doesn't seem active. Did anyone face similar situation?

Please advise. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

srab kaur

May 12, 2023
Hi @legalfalcon ,

does this hold good even now? I am in similar situation. We got our CoPR a week ago, I am planning to renew my passport as it has only little more than 6 months for expiry and planning to travel with a month. to avoid passport renewal procedure in Canada (which might take time as I have to provide Canadian permanent address proof), I am thinking to renew my passport before travel.
Do we have to inform IRCC about this?
and will it cause any issue at Port of Entry?

I am aware that I should be carrying both the passports while travelling.
Please help as I have to start my job within a month in Canada.
Hey pls do reply , actually I got my copr yesterday nd my passport is going to expire in nov 2024 , I have given my passport for stamping , should I give it for renewal before landing in Canada , what should I do pls advice