Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2014
LANDED..........
07-03-2014
Passports or travel documents for you, your spouse or common-law partner and dependent
children. Include only copies of pages showing the passport number, date of issue and expiration,
your photo, name, surname (family name), date and place of birth.
This is a quote from the Country Specific Instructions for those immigrating from the United States of America.

I have been reading on these forums today and recently that some individuals on the forums are submitting to immigration their whole passport...

I am just wondering if this means since I am coming from the Unites States, that I need to include only copies of these pages and not my entire passport for immigration. The wording above is a little bit confusing... I will be traveling to Canada and then submitted the immigration forms. Then I am planning to leave Canada and return home soon after. I will only be visiting Canada to see my husband for a week and a half. I would need my passport upon exiting the country to get back into the US... Any Americans know if this means just a copy of the passport page with our photo and passport number page?

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
Americans do not require a visa to enter Canada and CIC would not need your original passport to place an entrance visa in it, just copies. Only applicants who would normally need a visa to enter Canada would have to submit their passport. I vaguely remember one of the US offices asking for the original passport but perhaps an American or someone who knows better can verify.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Usually the VO just asks for passport pages. but sometimes they have asked for physical passport (even from Americans).. (I have gone through few threads)
you have been just asked to submit the pages.
so with physical passport in your hands you can go to canada

P.S. I am not an American but live in US but still a visa exempt country citizen