+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expires in 4 months

Staliger

Feb 26, 2021
Hi everyone,

My passport expires on 6th July 2021. I was approved for PR and submitted all documents with payment on 26 Sep 2020. I was supposed to get PR decision by March 26th 2021.
I know that government site says: "If your passport expires within 6 months from the day you apply, you should renew it. Then, when you get your new passport, update your passport information in your application. This will ensure it's valid when we process your application, and avoid additional delays." Because on 26th Sep 2020 my passport was way above 6 months, I though it is ok to wait until my PR and then renew passport.

However, today, I received a letter stating that my passport expires in less than 6months from now, and they give me 60 days to upload a scan of a new passport. It would take 1 month for passport to be created + the closest appointment time in my embassy is.... August 11. Therefore, there is no way I can upload scan of a new passport!

What to do in this situation? The only thing I can think of is to urgently fly to my country, apply for passport there, and pray that I can receive it in less than 60 days. There was no statement that passport should not expire less than 6 months at the date close to your possible PR approval. In that case, of course I would renewed my passport earlier...