+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Partner visa

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
Hi there,

I am in the process of moving from the UK to Vancouver, and my company are sponsoring my application. I am moving with my partner, and I wanted to explore her being on my visa.

We've been together for nearly 8 years, and lived together at university. We lived together in first year from Sept-July, then second year Sept-July and third year Sept-July. Since then, we've both been in London, but she has lived with her parents, whilst I've been in a shared flat.

We obviously have lots of evidence of us being together, and could have plenty of testimonials, I'm on her car insurance etc.

However, I'm concerned about the one year of continuous living. We lived together at uni, but the contracts were not continuous as we obviously had to leave uni during summer.

Is this a problem and how might we get around it?

Thanks!

Elliot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I am in the process of moving from the UK to Vancouver, and my company are sponsoring my application. I am moving with my partner, and I wanted to explore her being on my visa.

We've been together for nearly 8 years, and lived together at university. We lived together in first year from Sept-July, then second year Sept-July and third year Sept-July. Since then, we've both been in London, but she has lived with her parents, whilst I've been in a shared flat.

We obviously have lots of evidence of us being together, and could have plenty of testimonials, I'm on her car insurance etc.

However, I'm concerned about the one year of continuous living. We lived together at uni, but the contracts were not continuous as we obviously had to leave uni during summer.

Is this a problem and how might we get around it?

Thanks!

Elliot
Unfortunately you are not common law since you haven't lived together for a full year continuously. So yes this is a problem. The one year of continuous living is mandatory. Consider getting married. That's the only viable option I see right now.

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
Unfortunately you are not common law since you haven't lived together for a full year continuously. So yes this is a problem. The one year of continuous living is mandatory. Consider getting married. That's the only viable option I see right now.
My company is planning to move me out in April next year. By which time we will have lived together for a whole year. Would this suffice if my partner was to join me out there say June 2021?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My company is planning to move me out in April next year. By which time we will have lived together for a whole year. Would this suffice if my partner was to join me out there say June 2021?
I understood that you are living separate right now. She with her parents and you in the shared flat. Is that incorrect?

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
I understood that you are living separate right now. She with her parents and you in the shared flat. Is that incorrect?
No, since March due to lockdown, we've both been living at her parents house and will continue to do so until I leave for Vancouver, March/April 2021. My partner is a teacher, so could only join me June 2021. But I still have my shared flat, just haven't lived there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, since March due to lockdown, we've both been living at her parents house and will continue to do so until I leave for Vancouver, March/April 2021. My partner is a teacher, so could only join me June 2021.
Then you would be good for next year. You will want to have evidence to show you are living together at this joint address like joint bank account statements or credit cards. Other options include utility and cell bills. Have her parents get a signed affidavit stating you've lived there since March. Hopefully any work related documents you have show this address as well.

ER1993

Nov 17, 2020
Hi - I'm just following up on this to understand about bank statements as evidence. I have a bank statement showing I've lived at my address for over a year, and the bank said their statements they provide online are official. But I'm wondering whether they need to be stamped, or whether I can just print them out as evidence?