ScarletSails

Dec 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
I got the invitation to apply letter on September 23, 2021. I just submitted my application. I was confused about the deadline, so I did not submit the application within the 60-day period. The letter provided conflicting information:
“You and the parents and grandparents you want to sponsor have 60 days from the date of this email to submit your complete application online through the Permanent Residence online portal (https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en/login). The application must be submitted by the principal applicant (your parent or grandparent), or by an authorized representative on their behalf. We must receive your application on or before December 6, 2021 before 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.”
I am wondering if there is one deadline for all regardless of when the invitation to apply letter was received.
For those who got invited to apply in January 2021, were there two different deadlines on your invitation to apply letter?

dbliss93

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hello! :)

If one has only been a PR for a year - are they eligible to sponsor their parents?

Or do they need to have their PR status for at least 3 years - so that they are able to show their income tax for the past 3 years in Canada?

Thank you! :)

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hello! :)

If one has only been a PR for a year - are they eligible to sponsor their parents?

Or do they need to have their PR status for at least 3 years - so that they are able to show their income tax for the past 3 years in Canada?

Thank you! :)
You have to make a distinction between time as a PR and the financial requirements for sponsorship.

Length of time as a PR is irrelevant for this. What is relevant though is showing the last 3 years of taxes from CRA to show you have enough money to support the people you want to sponsor.

Meaning, for example you could be on a work visa in Canada for 3 years, then as a PR for one month. As long as you filed taxes for 3 years and meet the requirements that's enough. You don't have to be PR for 3 years.

Does that make sense?

dbliss93

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
You have to make a distinction between time as a PR and the financial requirements for sponsorship.

Length of time as a PR is irrelevant for this. What is relevant though is showing the last 3 years of taxes from CRA to show you have enough money to support the people you want to sponsor.

Meaning, for example you could be on a work visa in Canada for 3 years, then as a PR for one month. As long as you filed taxes for 3 years and meet the requirements that's enough. You don't have to be PR for 3 years.

Does that make sense?
Very helpful, thank you!

So the applicant would need to be in Canada for at least 3 years prior to applying for the sponsorship, correct?

Thank you!