+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PA got new citizenship during sponsorship. What to do in this case?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hi All,

If the principle applicant receives a new citizenship during the process of sponsorship, but before receiving the acknowledgement of receipt (AOR1) from IRCC.

1) What should they do in this situation? This probably rare but I hope you have some ideas.

2) I think IRCC will want scans of the new passport, right?

3) Will they have to send new forms now? Updating anywhere it asks for citizenship(s).

4) Will this make the application/background checks easier if the new citizenship is from a country with a good passport?

I will of course advise them to send a webform and follow whatever instructions they recieve from IRCC, but I just wanted to see if you have any ideas or suggestions for things to look out for.

5) By the way, they don't even have AOR1, so what reference info do they have to provide in the webform?

Thanks so much for your input!

bian07

May 19, 2017
Wait until they receive aor and then send the scans of new passport through web form. If they need anything else updated they will request it

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Makes sense. So it won't be an issue of waiting until they recieve AOR even if that means not being timely with informing IRCC about the change?