+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP, Start Business and After

Thyti

Jun 24, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have been stay in canada for 1 month with spouse open work permit. I have a few question for the next step.
1- How can I start a business with owp?
2-If i establish a business. Can I use of my work experience from my own company to cec?
3- If my spouse want to fire to school. Can I save of our status with my own business?
4- if I want to stay here with my spouse. Please advise me to how get pr for this situation?

Thank in advance,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. You can be self employed/contractor but to set up a registered or incorporated business you need to be a PR or citizen unless you have business partners who are Canadian/PR.
2. no your self employment experience doesn't count for CEC.
3. When does your permit expiry. If she quits school, your OWP may end too but need to confirm. She would need to change her status to visitor and she can't work. Your "business" gives not benefit unless you do #4.
4. You can look at federal start up visa or provincial entrepreneur programs (you need high net worth). Or you apply through Express Entry.

Reactions: Thyti and mamad611

Thyti

Jun 24, 2018
Thank you for your answer.
One more question. My friend lives in Canada with PR. If He just establish a company which is like a retail store. Can he hire me for NOC class a,b or 0 ? Maybe this way can work for me.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your answer.
One more question. My friend lives in Canada with PR. If He just establish a company which is like a retail store. Can he hire me for NOC class a,b or 0 ? Maybe this way can work for me.
Yes, if legitimate.

Reactions: Thyti

Thyti

Jun 24, 2018
Thank very much.
Is there any criteria that the employer should have?
-any income or some
-type of business

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank very much.
Is there any criteria that the employer should have?
-any income or some
-type of business
Is it a physical store and registered as a business? What is your NOC? They will look at number of years in business, number of employees, income etc.

Thyti

Jun 24, 2018
It is small business and physical retail store. The company is newbie. He has two store in the mall and I will work as a Retail sales supervisors which is noc B.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is small business and physical retail store. The company is newbie. He has two store in the mall and I will work as a Retail sales supervisors which is noc B.
Possibly. If you are the only employee along with him, officers can always questions why you are a supervisor. All the best.

tbrown04

Nov 30, 2021
First of all congratulation on starting a new business.
If you are going to start a new business. I hope you have done all the research required for it.
If you haven't and still doing it you can refer Delaware business entity search process that will help you a lot.
best of luck.

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
1. You can be self employed/contractor but to set up a registered or incorporated business you need to be a PR or citizen unless you have business partners who are Canadian/PR.
2. no your self employment experience doesn't count for CEC.
3. When does your permit expiry. If she quits school, your OWP may end too but need to confirm. She would need to change her status to visitor and she can't work. Your "business" gives not benefit unless you do #4.
4. You can look at federal start up visa or provincial entrepreneur programs (you need high net worth). Or you apply through Express Entry.
@Naturgrl - I don't think point 1) is factually correct. A non-resident can easily open a Canadian company without Canadian shareholders/partners. In case of Federal Incorporation, they will need a Canadian PR/Citizen as a Director, but the company can still be 100% owned by non-resident.

Even better - one does not need to be Federally Incorporated, one can incorporate in a province like BC where there is no requirement of having a Canadian PR/Citizen as a Director.