+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstay Friend Applying for PR

May 28, 2018
Hello everyone I have a somewhat unique problem and I'm hoping anyone can give me some answers. My friend has been living in Canada for ~Six years. He has been staying on work visas (Provincial nominee program) for (almost) the entire time. A year and a half ago his company applied for Permanent Residency by sponsoring him, however the application was lost in transit. We have proof of payment for the application. Since then we have tried to get some answers but we just get "we don't have it". My friend let this slide and thought it was a Gov't problem and he didn't reapply. It has now been a year that he has overstayed. He has been living with his Canadian girlfriend for three years now. We want to do an inland PR application but this time from his girlfriend's sponsorship. Is this the best course of action? Due to some other reasons we can't have him waiting to re-enter the country for an extended amount of time. We also have one more pressing issue now. His Drivers license has just expired, and he cannot get it renewed because he doesn't have the correct Visa. Is there any way to get him driving again? Can he drive or receive temporary paperwork when the PR application is filed? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Are these work permits legal? The provincial nominee program is for PR's as far as I know. Somebody here could clarify this though. How long has he overstayed? You can't sponsor a friend for PR, so this is probably why the application is not there.

May 28, 2018
Are these work permits legal? The provincial nominee program is for PR's as far as I know. Somebody here could clarify this though. How long has he overstayed? You can't sponsor a friend for PR, so this is probably why the application is not there.
Yes they are legal. He has overstayed by one year. I should clarify that I worked with him and when I say friend I mean friend and business associate. His company only found out recently that his application didn't go through.

Last edited: