+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Spousal Sponsorship - Creating a Backup Plan (Just in Case)

avidrunner

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hi all,

We mailed our outland spousal sponsorship on December 20, 2020, and have completed the biometrics, medical, and CSQ, so we are just waiting to hear back from IRCC. The final approval.

We believe our application package to be very strong. But sometimes things are out of our control, or we have bad luck... One IRCC officer may stamp "approved" while another may stamp "refused" for the exact same application package... So I also feel that it's never a bad idea to have a backup plan. Just in case...

If the outland spousal sponsorship application is refused, and we want to challenge it... rather than keeping our place in queue we would need to start over from scratch, correct?

Therefor, if our target date to move to Canada remains as July 15, 2022 (regardless of being approved or denied via Outland Spousal Sponsorship) can we still fly to Canada and apply for an Inland Spousal Sponsorship after we arrive in Canada? We didn't want to do this for concern of the travel visa not lasting long enough for my wife, before she can get a PR in Canada if approved via inland sponsorship. But I'm also not sure *if* we can even do this, having recently applied for outland spousal sponsorship? It is not something we would consider doing unless it was the last resort... So our fingers are crossed that it all goes smoothly with our outland application while we are overseas... But just getting an idea for things. I can't remember if IRCC has strict rules against this? (applying for inland spousal sponsorship after you have already applied for outland spousal sponsorship but have been refused)

Don't want to overthink it, but at the same time we don't want to be caught off guard.. We would rather be prepared for any situation, and so I am trying to imagine a few scenarios to prepare for proactively just in case the Outland Spousal Sponsorship is refused. Again, like I said, I feel strongly in my heart that we should be fine, but it's my first time doing it, so who knows!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: