+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Out of status" while applying for OWP

3m8kg

Mar 4, 2020
Hi everyone,
I'm a January 2020 inland spousal sponsorship applicant. My application was delivered on Jan 6th, AOR received on Feb 29th and OWP linked to my account today, March 4th.

In the application for OWP, I gave following information:
-Current country or territory of residence: Canada

I was, and still am, on visitor visa, which allows me to stay in Canada 6 months at most. That's why the information for my stay in Canada was from 2019/8/22 to 2020/2/21.
On 2020/2/4, I went back to Japan for 2 weeks, and on 2020/2/18, I came back to Canada, on visitor visa again.

Now, since the information in OWP application was "to 2020/2/21", I wonder if IRCC would assume me to be "out of status" in Canada and cancel my OWP.
Is the possibility of being considered "out of status" high in my case? If so, what should I do to get my OWP processed smoothly? Me and my husband are waiting to get my OWP so that we can start our own business, so I'm a bit worried about the application.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You were not out of status when you applied, were you? You have to be in status when you apply. Leaving the country and coming back may or may not be an issue. I don't know if we have enough experience here with doing that.

3m8kg

Mar 4, 2020
You were not out of status when you applied, were you? You have to be in status when you apply. Leaving the country and coming back may or may not be an issue. I don't know if we have enough experience here with doing that.
Thank you for your help! No I was not out of status when I applied. I'm just worried if they think that I'm out of the country (since my stay as a visitor valid until Feb 21st only), or that they cannot find proofs of my status maintenance, then they may just keep my application on hold :(