+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of country claim.please help

break0987

Star Member
May 3, 2013
Hi , does ohip covers out of country claim if emergency need? I have check website , but they need prior approval from ministry .is that so ? I am confused. Does i keep the medical bills from out of country and submit the application form ? Would that be enough? Please help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi , does ohip covers out of country claim if emergency need? I have check website , but they need prior approval from ministry .is that so ? I am confused. Does i keep the medical bills from out of country and submit the application form ? Would that be enough? Please help.
There is extremely limited out of country coverage through Ohip. You are expected to take out private travel medical insurance to pay for emergency medical care or all or almost all the costs will be required to be your responsibility.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long have you been out of Ontario? How much time had you spent in Ontario before you left? That will determine whether you qualify to claim anything. I have posted the claim process and what documentation you should provide. What kind of treatment are you receiving? Things like dialysis is something you need prior approval for for example. In general you can’t count on receiving any money from OHIP it’s not meant to replace purchasing emergency travel medical insurance. The amount that people usually get back is a fraction of the cost of a bill from many country and if it is inexpensive care most don’t bother submitting claims to Ohip.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada

Reactions: break0987

break0987

Star Member
May 3, 2013
There is extremely limited out of country coverage through Ohip. You are expected to take out private travel medical insurance to pay for emergency medical care or all or almost all the costs will be required to be your responsibility.
Thank you for your response

break0987

Star Member
May 3, 2013
How long have you been out of Ontario? How much time had you spent in Ontario before you left? That will determine whether you qualify to claim anything. I have posted the claim process and what documentation you should provide. What kind of treatment are you receiving? Things like dialysis is something you need prior approval for for example. In general you can’t count on receiving any money from OHIP it’s not meant to replace purchasing emergency travel medical insurance. The amount that people usually get back is a fraction of the cost of a bill from many country and if it is inexpensive care most don’t bother submitting claims to Ohip.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada
Thank you for your response

break0987

Star Member
May 3, 2013
Its been a mnth out of ontario and im citizen and admitted to icu and discharged i have checked the claim process link . But as per your say we cant expect much from ohip . Kinda of disappointed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its been a mnth out of ontario and im citizen and admitted to icu and discharged i have checked the claim process link . But as per your say we cant expect much from ohip . Kinda of disappointed.
I’m sorry that you fell ill but Ohip makes it very clear that you are expected to take out private travel medical insurance. OHIP was never meant to cover the cost of receiving healthcare while abroad.