+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OSAP vs StudentAid BC ?

HappyLucky

May 28, 2015
Hi all
I'd be grateful if you could advice me on choosing the best city in terms of better services (aid/loan) FOR NEWCOMERS

female in IT profession, moving to Canada with PR visa probably in November, no friend in Canada

I was planning to land in BC just because of the nice weather ( I cant tolerate Cold and wild weather )
Since I dont think to get a decent job in Vancouver, I was thinking to go to university and get a Canadian Master Degree to have better chances in job market

but I just found that one is eligible to apply for student loan /aid in BC ( StudentAid BC ) only if he/she has lived there for 12 months !
but eligibility for student loan in Ontario is different : your are eligible for this loan if you have been resident for 1 year OR your FIRST LANDING was in ONTARIO !

so I thought what if I land in Toronto and after a couple of weeks move to Vancouver, if I didnt get a good job after 3 months, I move back to Toronto, apply for master and use the Ontario student aid/OSAP

but I am not sure if I land temporary in Ontario where should I go for SIN and Health Card ?in Ontario or after moving to Vancouver?

Best wishes for all