+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Osap income verification

Moh47

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
Hello
I applied for osap and I get approved and started my study one month ago, but yesterday they sent me a message that they could not verify my total gross income so my grant may converted into a loan if I didn't verify it.
I am a pr and I arrived 5 month ago but my husband living here since 2010. I filled his tax information and for me on total gross income I wrote zero since I was not working.
anyone know what is this situation and what I have to do ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
I applied for osap and I get approved and started my study one month ago, but yesterday they sent me a message that they could not verify my total gross income so my grant may converted into a loan if I didn't verify it.
I am a pr and I arrived 5 month ago but my husband living here since 2010. I filled his tax information and for me on total gross income I wrote zero since I was not working.
anyone know what is this situation and what I have to do ?
Did you work anywhere even internationally in 2020/2021? Did you provide proof his last tax return? If you are married family income should determine whether you qualify for a loan s grant unless your spouse is earning a very low salary. If so, sponsorship would likely have been difficult.

Moh47

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
I didn't work. And yes I provide his last tax return with CRA because he was here in canada and he paid his tax.
I'm just not sure wither I have to fill his total income on mine or how can I verify my income?

also What do you mean by difficult sponsorship?
In osap he is not sponsoring me as I know and his income determine my osap eligibility.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I didn't work. And yes I provide his last tax return with CRA because he was here in canada and he paid his tax.
I'm just not sure wither I have to fill his total income on mine or how can I verify my income?

also What do you mean by difficult sponsorship?
In osap he is not sponsoring me as I know and his income determine my osap eligibility.
You likely qualified for a grant because only your previous was considered which was incorrect. It’s unclear whether you filled out the form incorrectly or whether there is a problem with the form. Qualifying for OSAP is based on family income. To sponsor a spouse you have to make enough to support your family without government help. If your husband was able to sponsor you he likely didn’t make a very low income and he wasn’t on welfare. If he was on welfare or made minimal income you may have qualified for the grant. Grants are given to help people who would not be ab.e to attend school otherwise in the hopes that they will graduate and earn more and no longer depend on government support,