Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
I realized while responding to another post here that it might be nice for me to share a little about the way we organized the evidence for our application. We tracked every piece of evidence in an Excel spreadsheet, even the stuff we didn't end up using. Every item had a code to identify it and help us to make sure nothing slipped through the cracks. This helped us to better visualize gaps in the data and to make sure that we weren't missing any crucial pieces that would support major life events. The following is a very abridged sample of what it looked like (the real thing has many hundreds of items, including both the items we used and didn't use). Hopefully, this might be useful as a starting point for those who are struggling with putting together their applications. It also shows how we split the timeline of our relationship into different "chunks" or segments based on important events (i.e. the first time I visited Vietnam, our wedding preparations, the wedding itself, following visits...), making sure we had enough supporting evidence in each to give a balanced picture of our relationship.

CodeTypeDescriptionDateSegmentRationale
DC007 Document MSN Chat transcript between D & Q (1st time openly discussing a relationship) Jun 17, 2008 Pre-1st Visit proof of relationship
DC009 Document Email Conv. re: service in VietnamOct 21, 2008 Pre-1st Visit rationale of 1st visit; proof of relationship
DC011 Document Email Conv. w/ Q (re: relationship questions) Jan 21, 2009 Pre-1st Visit proof of relationship (too long; only the first few pages used)
DT003 Boarding Pass Boarding Stub (D) XX123 YOW-ORD Seat XX Mar 27, 2009 1st VN Visit proof of 1st visit
DT004 Boarding Pass Boarding Stub (D) XX123 ORD-NRT Mar 27, 2009 1st VN Visit proof of 1st visit
DT009 Boarding Pass Boarding Pass (D) XX123 NRT-SGN Seat XX Mar 31, 2009 1st VN Visit proof of 1st visit
DD011 Document Chat transcript from streaming webcam (Stickam.com) during Engagement Aug 4, 2009 1st VN Visit proof of engagement
DD014 Document Catering Contract w/ restaurant for reception - English translationDec 5, 2009 Pre-Wedding proof of wedding
DC018 Card Birthday card designed by D for Q, w/ cake Jan 19, 2010 Pre-Wedding proof of continuing long-distance contact
DC019 Document Email Conv. w/ jeweller (re: wedding rings) Jan 21, 2010 Pre-Wedding proof of wedding
DC023 Document Email Conv. w/ L (re: buying train tickets) Feb 10, 2010 Pre-Wedding proof of honeymoon trip
DC038 Card Sample Wedding invitation Wedding proof of wedding
DR115 Rcpt Hotel Receipt from honeymoon Hotel No. XXXXMar 14, 2010 Honeymoonproof of wedding/honeymoon
DC034 Document Email Order Confirmation from florist #XXXX Jul 6, 2010 Post-Wedding proof of relationship
DC037 Document Email Order Confirmation from florist #XXXX Nov 5, 2010 Post-3rd Visit proof of relationship
DR228 Rcpt WU Rcpt WU 500 CAD to Q XXX-XXX-XXXXMar 11, 2011 Post-4th Visitproof of relationship

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Impressive work and organization here. I hope the visa officer is delighted when s/he opens your file! It is great that you thought to share this with others too.

I just want to re-iterate that, as dangerjones said, this is a partial list so that people looking for what types of evidence to provide don't get the idea that documentation of travel and wedding details is all that is needed. I often cite the OP 2 manual as a guide for how to think about evidence. The section of the manual for processing members of the family class quoted below also contains a list of examples of the types of evidence (for parts a and more importantly b) which could be used to support a claim of a conjugal relationship.

5.26. Assessment of conjugal relationships
The following are key elements that officers may use to establish whether a couple is in a conjugal
relationship. These apply to spouses, common-law partners and conjugal partners.

a) Mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all other conjugal relationships
b) Interdependent – physically, emotionally, financially, socially

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

dangerJones

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-06-2011
AOR Received.
25-07-2011
File Transfer...
08-08-2011
Med's Done....
14-04-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-04-2012
LANDED..........
10-04-2012
AllisonVSC said:
Impressive work and organization here. I hope the visa officer is delighted when s/he opens your file! It is great that you thought to share this with others too.

I just want to re-iterate that, as dangerjones said, this is a partial list so that people looking for what types of evidence to provide don't get the idea that documentation of travel and wedding details is all that is needed. I often cite the OP 2 manual as a guide for how to think about evidence. The section of the manual for processing members of the family class quoted below also contains a list of examples of the types of evidence (for parts a and more importantly b) which could be used to support a claim of a conjugal relationship.

5.26. Assessment of conjugal relationships
The following are key elements that officers may use to establish whether a couple is in a conjugal
relationship. These apply to spouses, common-law partners and conjugal partners.

a) Mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of all other conjugal relationships
b) Interdependent – physically, emotionally, financially, socially

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
Thanks Allison! Yeah, many different kinds of evidence are needed. What you posted is very helpful. I only found the manuals about a month before we submitted our application, and I wish I had known about them right away—all the answers are in there, basically. I suppose I could also post a longer list of the kinds of evidence we submitted to supplement this. There's so much of it that I'm a little hesitant though :D