+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options after Working Holiday Visa?

ERPL

Mar 30, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have been living in Montreal (Quebec) for 1 year now. I am from Spain and I started working in a fashion design company with a Working Holiday Visa in June 2013. My visa is going to expire in June this year, and my company wants me to keep working for them. I already applied for Young Professionals Visa and it got denied. I know the WHV is not extendable, so I guess my only option is to get an LMO. My HR said that it would be very hard for her to get one because my position is Assistant Designer, and she thinks that she would get a lot of resumes if she posts the job offer in the job bank. My questions are:

1. Is it really that hard to get the LMO approved? what if she gets resumes but she says to Immigration that the candidates were not good enough? Does the fact that I have been working with them for a year give me some extra qualification that will justify my LMO approval? For example I have 1 whole year of experience in the company and training courses in intercompany systems.

2. Also, I have been living with my Canadian boyfriend for a year now. Would it be easier to apply to Permanent Residence through common-law sponsorship? I wouldnt be able to work when my WHV expires or would I be in Implied Status? Should I pply in-land or out-land?

3. And, If I apply for the PR in Quebec, and then I want to move outside of Quebec, would I be able to do so?

4. Should I apply for the Certificat de Selection de Quebec? I need 1 whole year of working experience and with the WHV I would have 11 months and 3 weeks. What could I do to get a whole year? ask for an Extension and wait until is denied so at least I have 1 more month of experience?

5. Would I have any other options apart from this ones?

Sorry it is a lot of questions, but I am pretty confused with all this. I would really appreciate some answers. Thank you very much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For an LMO to be approved, there have to be no suitable Canadian candidates. It isn't enough to prove that you are the best candidate and the fact that you are already in the role unfortunately makes no difference.

There is no implied status for Working Holiday Visas. So even if your common law partner sponsors you, you still need an LMO to continue working.

ERPL

Mar 30, 2014
Thank you for your answer. Then it sounds like it is 99% impossible to get an LMO no? If I still apply for one just to see, and I am refused, would that refusal in the system affect my future applications? What if I am working with my WHV and I apply for an LMO and before getting an answer my WHV expires? can I keep working until I get an answer about my LMO? Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no harm in having your employer try to get an LMO. Who knows - you might get lucky. There will be no negative impact to you if the LMO is refused.

You can keep working as long as your WHV is valid. Because WHVs cannot be extended, you must stop working when your WHV expires (unless you already have a new and approved work permit).

ERPL

Mar 30, 2014
Thanks again!

You seem like you really know what you are talking about. Can I also ask you if I apply to Permanent Residence through common-law sponsorship, would I be able to work when my WHV expires or would I be in Implied Status? Should I apply in-land or out-land?

And, If I apply for the PR in Quebec, and then I want to move outside of Quebec, would I be able to do so?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Regardless of whether you are sponsored inland or outland, you would need to stop working when your WHV expires. There is no implied status for WHVs.

Yes - if you apply for spousal sponsorship within Quebec and then want to move outside of Quebec sometime after landing - that's no problem.