+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

option c printout, single???!?

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
hi everyone,
i am sponsoring my husband from egypt and i am currently visiting him here as i am pregnant with his child and about to give birth. i was about to send in the applications and noticed i needed an option c printout. i got it sent to my mother in canada and she sent it here in egypt. when i opened it i noticed it says single...is this going to be a problem???

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Did you file has single for your 2009 taxes?

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
yes..because i had no idea i had to change my marital status in revenue canada. even though i was married at the time i filed them, do you think this could be a problem?

I

iarblue

You can do a reassesment.You need to go to an accountant and get them to redue your 2009 and add that you were married as it does make a difference in the tax outcome.And when immigration looks at your option c and realizes you said you were not married and they match the dates and find you were it may cause some problems.They may request you correct the error before they will continue.But they may wonder why you did not claim married when you were.So you might want to fix it before you apply.
You dont want to cause problems you could fix before you apply.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
thanks for replying,
im not in canada which will make it hard to do a reassesment, my marital status was changed in canada but apparently i forgot to change it with revenue canada. will it cause a bigger problem to send this form than it would to just explain that im curently in egypt and cant obtain one. or do you think i should send a letter explaining my mistake and why at this time i cant change it?

I

iarblue

You could yes,but i dont know how it will effect your outcome as they will wonder why?When on the tax forms you have to check married or single.Or if an accountant did it they ask you if your married or not.So im not exactly sure how hard they look into the option C.There are many ways they may look at it if they do actually really look at it.Im not sure why they ask for your option C if there is no income requirement.But they do ask for it and they do use it for a reason.
But honestly right now you really dont have a choice since you cant get it redune.
Maybe someone else here has done this and had no problems and they can answer better,It really all depends on what they use the option c printout for.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can go over with your accountant even you are not in Canada. I'm not sure why you cannot redo the assessment.

kelsey199200

Star Member
Jun 24, 2010
i dont know how i would go about talking to a canadian accountant while iam in egypt. a family friend filed my taxes for me using a program. we were only married in nov of '09. do you think the marital status is important in the option c printout or do they only look at if you have recieved financial support?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The problem is you filled out a form when you were married, but ticked off the 'single' box. If the visa officer notices, he/she is going to wonder why. If you have a lot of evidence that your relationship is genuine, then it may be OK.

My experience: the first year I filed my income tax return after getting married, the CRA wrote back asking for more information about my husband. They wanted his SIN and his income for the year. He is a foreigner who has never been to Canada, and our marriage is not a real relationship, according to the gov't. He has no SIN and cannot get one; and not even he knows how much money he made that year. I do not live with him, and at the time could not live with him. Nevertheless CRA refused to give me my GST credit.

Whether you are married or single changes the tax you pay, usually. Being married to a foreigner who is not in Canada complicates your taxes.

If the visa officer asks about it, I would just say that a friend did your taxes for you, and you didn't notice he had put 'single'.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Try contacting revenue Canada first or ask your friend to (contact by email would be great. You could send cic the question and answer). Ask since you were single most of the year but married in November (husband still living in Egypt waiting PR, no Canadian income to declare) should you do a reassessment? If yes, it is likely your friend can handle it; it would just require filing an amended return, correct? If you don't have to refile, just inform cic of the error.