+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Scenario

lalachai

Mar 1, 2010
Hi Everyone ,

I am on work permit now and the validatity is for 2 years . I have also managed to apply Open Work Permit for my spouse for the same validity period .

So I have 3 questions.

If I were to quit my company , will my spouse lose her open work permit :

1) If she is already working for a company in Canada ?
2) If she is still unemployed ?
3 ) Given the answer to question 1 is yes , can she in turn apply open work permit for me ? ( She holds Bachelor Deg. with 5 years working experience in Banking )

Thanks for your time and help .

cheers,
Curious

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lalachai said:
Hi Everyone ,

I am on work permit now and the validatity is for 2 years . I have also managed to apply Open Work Permit for my spouse for the same validity period .

So I have 3 questions.

If I were to quit my company , will my spouse lose her open work permit :

1) If she is already working for a company in Canada ?
2) If she is still unemployed ?
3 ) Given the answer to question 1 is yes , can she in turn apply open work permit for me ? ( She holds Bachelor Deg. with 5 years working experience in Banking )

Thanks for your time and help .

cheers,
Curious
1. No
2. No
3. No

PMM

rchiemedes

Sep 28, 2009
pls can you tell me which form to fill up for application of open work permit for my wife.
im curretly a Temp Foreign worker ( skilled A) and i want to bring my wife here in canada with me. thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rchiemedes said:
pls can you tell me which form to fill up for application of open work permit for my wife.
im curretly a Temp Foreign worker ( skilled A) and i want to bring my wife here in canada with me. thanks
1. If she needs a TRV (visitor visa) to enter Canada, she applies for the TRV at the office that services the country where she resides. She needs a copy of your work permit and proof of marriage. She can either apply for the OWP at the same time as the TRV or she can apply for the OWP when she arrives in Canada with the TRV.
2. If she is in Canada now, she applies to Vegreville. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-student.asp

PMM

csic_student

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Vancouver BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, how convienient!

Husband buys a LMO under Skill level 0, A or B. Brings his wife to Canada under TRV. Applies for an Open Work Permit at the POE. Because the nature of the LMO, CBSA officer gives wife an open work permit. Husband quits the "Does not Exist" job while wife still has the open work permit. After one year wife becomes the principal applicant and applies for PR under FSW.
Is there a loop hole in the system or this immigration system was designed within the loop hole?

patty34

Apr 12, 2010
Hi PMM,

You responded to an earlier post about an OWP that "She can either apply for the OWP at the same time as the TRV . . .". Assuming all requirements are met (NOC and marriage) for a partner to apply for an OWP, what form is filled out for this? (I can only find the in-canada application form that's sent to Vegreville. I can't seem to find an outside-of canada application that accompanies the TRV).

Thanks!
Patty

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

patty34 said:
Hi PMM,

You responded to an earlier post about an OWP that "She can either apply for the OWP at the same time as the TRV . . .". Assuming all requirements are met (NOC and marriage) for a partner to apply for an OWP, what form is filled out for this? (I can only find the in-canada application form that's sent to Vegreville. I can't seem to find an outside-of canada application that accompanies the TRV).

Thanks!
Patty
You go to the office's web site where she would be applying. All the forms are there. You apply for a TRV and Work Permit at the same time.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
patty34 said:
Hi PMM,

Thanks!
Patty
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1295B.PDF (application form)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5488E.PDF (document checklist)

Maybe you can do this at POE since you are both American citizens and you don't need the visa to enter Canada.