+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario or Quebec process for Ottawa when living in Gatineau?

Auryn

Jul 1, 2019
I am moving to Canada with my family spring -2020. My husband will transfer through his employer to one of their Candadian sites, either in Montréal or Ottawa. He would get a Work Visa. I am a bit confused about which province we should be looking at in the Ottawa case, since the QC and ONT processes seem to be a bit different.

If we get offered Montréal, it's pretty straight forward - it's obviously a Quebec process that is needed. But if we go to Ottawa, I would prefer to live on the QC side for various reasons (french, childcare, economy, skiing). But if we live in Gatineau and my husband works in Ontario, do we need to switch to the Ontario immigration process? In short, should we do the process for the province where we intend to work (ONT) or where we intend to live (QC).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am moving to Canada with my family spring -2020. My husband will transfer through his employer to one of their Candadian sites, either in Montréal or Ottawa. He would get a Work Visa. I am a bit confused about which province we should be looking at in the Ottawa case, since the QC and ONT processes seem to be a bit different.

If we get offered Montréal, it's pretty straight forward - it's obviously a Quebec process that is needed. But if we go to Ottawa, I would prefer to live on the QC side for various reasons (french, childcare, economy, skiing). But if we live in Gatineau and my husband works in Ontario, do we need to switch to the Ontario immigration process? In short, should we do the process for the province where we intend to work (ONT) or where we intend to live (QC).
The ICT process is separate category altogether. The economy is actually better in Ontario versus Quebec and Gatineau. The growth number may be better in Quebec but that’s because Quebec has been in a rut for decade and has only started growing in the past 5-10 years. Skiing isn’t a big deal. Depending on where you live in Ottawa you could be only adding 15 minutes more. The greater Ottawa area often has special rules because people cross the borders constantly. The medical care in Hull and Gatineau is not great compared to Ottawa because doctors get paid a lot less. Residents are currently allowed to go to Ottawa hospitals and doctors but it is a huge expense for Quebec so that option may disappear. That would be something I would look into closer to 2020 because that may make a big impact on your family. Cost of daycare, housing and taxes are the other things I would consider.

Auryn

Jul 1, 2019
The ICT process is separate category altogether. The economy is actually better in Ontario versus Quebec and Gatineau. The growth number may be better in Quebec but that’s because Quebec has been in a rut for decade and has only started growing in the past 5-10 years. Skiing isn’t a big deal. Depending on where you live in Ottawa you could be only adding 15 minutes more. The greater Ottawa area often has special rules because people cross the borders constantly. The medical care in Hull and Gatineau is not great compared to Ottawa because doctors get paid a lot less. Residents are currently allowed to go to Ottawa hospitals and doctors but it is a huge expense for Quebec so that option may disappear. That would be something I would look into closer to 2020 because that may make a big impact on your family. Cost of daycare, housing and taxes are the other things I would consider.
Thanks, but the question wasn't exactly "should I live in Ottawa or Gatineau", it was more along the lines of: "should I aim my immigration process at Quebec or Ontario if I want to live in QC and work in ONT".

The Ottawa Suburbia vs Gatineau is a whole discussion on its own.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
In short, should we do the process for the province where we intend to work (ONT) or where we intend to live (QC).
The province you intend to live.