+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario (GTA)--Can Open House owners request visitors' personal INFO upon entry?

Pina Colada

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
So I was visiting a few OPEN HOUSES in the Richmond Hill area in Toronto.

One of the open houses (Nicely decorated !! Over 2 million) has the following requests:
** Name
** Phone number
** Current Address
** Email
The Selling agent said each visitor MUST FILL OUT PHONE NUMBER & CURRENT ADDRESS, as the OWNER REQUESTED.

:eek: I was in doubt (since I'm new in Toronto, not familiar with the real estate laws).
It's UNDERSTANDABLE that the owner may think of it (Personal INFO collection) as a security measure, since we enter his/her current house.

:) Please enlighten me if there's any by-laws indicating such personal info MUST be collected during an 'OPEN HOUSE' stage.
Because I'm not quite comfortable giving out ADDRESS while SHOPPING <<< Doesn't "Open House" means you are opening your home for public (POTENTIAL BUYER) to browse around ?

:) Just like CAR SHOPPING/ BABY CLOTHERS SHOPPING.....ETC. We don't need to show PERSONAL INFO while entering one's business store, right ?

** PS. I'm not that rich to buy a 2 million house, but the house is in the area that me & my husband were browsing at, that's why we took a look too. Anyway, the main point I'm concerned about is the ADDRESS & Phone collection upon entry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is typical of higher end properties. Essentially the agents want to limit the people visiting the house to those who are really looking to buy a house in that price range and can afford it - rather than people who just want to tour a 2 million dollar house for fun.

There is no law saying that you must provide your personal details. At the same time, an open house doesn't mean the agent has to let you into the house to see it (it's still a private home and the owners / agents can legally control who is allowed into the house and who isn't). So it's definitely not like shopping in a store - it's quite different than that.

Make sense?

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Well, yes.... it is almost exactly like shopping in a store.

You can be refused entry for any reason in a store even if you did nothing wrong. It is a private business and not bound by any rules and regulations.

Pina Colada

Star Member
Apr 30, 2014
OK, thanks for the clarification.
As long as it's normally OK to request those personal INFO

Just wanted to make sure if we received an unfair treatment.

ALRIVAS

Star Member
May 8, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
10-12-1994
Is for 2 reasons security and database.
There are many theft occurred during open houses from Realtors being kidnap to Jewelry stolen.
Just make sure you provide your driver license info and info nothing they can do with that and tell the Realtor you don't want to get calls if you wish.
Visit my site for more info alrivas. com Im Realtor with 12 years experience.

MJ009

Sep 24, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Apr-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Applicaation
Med's Request
12- Nov- 2014
Med's Done....
14-Nov-2014, Also paid upfront RPRF on 14-Nov-2014
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
22-Dec-2014
Go To Kijiji.ca and there you will find lot of option for accommodation.

Thanks.

"Hit like if this information helps"