+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario G1 license and foreign driver's license - which one to use?

kiwissima

Sep 17, 2018
Hi,

If I get G1 license and still have my valid foreign driver's license, can I continue driving without any limitations with my foreign driver's license for 3 months before I pass G2 road test (I will prove my experience to skip G1 road test)?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It’s illegal to hold a license from more than one jurisdiction in Canada. Best to keep your foreign license tucked away somewhere safe and not use it if you have a valid Ontario license. When you apply for an Ontario license, they will retain your foreign license.

Reactions: kiwissima

kiwissima

Sep 17, 2018
It’s illegal to hold a license from more than one jurisdiction in Canada. Best to keep your foreign license tucked away somewhere safe and not use it if you have a valid Ontario license. When you apply for an Ontario license, they will retain your foreign license.
Thanks! Good to know since my plan was to apply for a G1 license and before passing a G2 road test to practice driving in Canada with my foreign driver's license that has no limitations.
Do you mean that once I apply for an Ontario license, I will need to give back my foreign driver's license and will not have them anymore? I would like to mention that I am from the country that does not allow a direct exchange, instead I will get credits for my driving experience.
And by a valid Ontario license do you mean even G1 license?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You will need to present your foreign license to get your G1, or else start right from the beginning. When you submit your foreign license to get your G1, they keep it.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Technically once you get your G1 license you are not allowed to drive on your international license in Ontario. You can only drive when accompanyied by a G driver meeting certain conditions (such as not having another passenger in the car etc.)

arthurbr

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto
You will need to present your foreign license to get your G1, or else start right from the beginning. When you submit your foreign license to get your G1, they keep it.
I think this information is wrong. Unless it is different for different countries. I am from Brazil, and I've recently obtained my G1 licence. To use my brazilian experience and go directly to full G licence, they just required that I present a letter of experience from my Consulate. That's the document they keep, not the licence itself. However, the lady at the DriveTest Centre told my that I could not drive with my brazilian licence anymore after I obtained my G1. Now, I have scheduled my full G road test and I can't drive without an experience driver accompanying me anymore until I succeed on the road test.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
I also did the conversion from my overseas license last year and they did not keep my license. I believe they keep licenses for cases where there is a direct exchange without the need to pass again the road test (such as US and some European jurisdictions)

Jan 10, 2018
I'm sorry to be replying to a very old thread, but this is not what happened to me.

It’s illegal to hold a license from more than one jurisdiction in Canada. Best to keep your foreign license tucked away somewhere safe and not use it if you have a valid Ontario license.
I did not know that. Could you please link the relevant legislation?

When you apply for an Ontario license, they will retain your foreign license.
I took my license on Sep. 2018 and they did NOT retain my foreign license nor my wife's.

PatronusPrime

Apr 26, 2021
I think this information is wrong. Unless it is different for different countries. I am from Brazil, and I've recently obtained my G1 licence. To use my brazilian experience and go directly to full G licence, they just required that I present a letter of experience from my Consulate. That's the document they keep, not the licence itself. However, the lady at the DriveTest Centre told my that I could not drive with my brazilian licence anymore after I obtained my G1. Now, I have scheduled my full G road test and I can't drive without an experience driver accompanying me anymore until I succeed on the road test.
Hi arthur
Sorry for replying in the old thread. I just wanted to know what happened in your case after the road test? I am in exactly same boat.
I got my G1 and trying to book G road test but due to Covid, I can't get any road test booking. The lady at the DriveTest center told me the same thing that from now on I can't drive with my Home country's driving license rather I have to use the G1. Does that mean I can't my drive my own car without having accompanied by full Class G license holder? I just bought a car last month and I don't know anyone here who can always accompany while I am driving and it would be impossible to find someone who can accompany me all the time while I am driving!!!
So does that mean I can't drive my own car until I clear my G Road test? It's very frustrating!! Would appreciate if I get to know your experience

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
I also did the conversion from my overseas license last year and they did not keep my license. I believe they keep licenses for cases where there is a direct exchange without the need to pass again the road test (such as US and some European jurisdictions)
Actually the regulations vary between provinces.

I am quite sure provinces retain incoming license in case of direct exchange.
However in case of credit transfer, some provinces retain ex. BC while others return original license ex. ON.
Either ways, once issued a Canadian license, you should not use your previous license . I know it does not make sense logically in cases of credit transfer.

Imagine a person allowed to drive on their original license upto 2 months of their arrival. However if you get a g1 within those 2 months, you are now in the Canadian system and need to follow g1 rules until you get g2/g license.

When approached by a police officer, you are expected to show your g1/g2/g license and not previous license.