Once you become are you really free? Please help experts

Banff2015

Jul 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Am I right in saying once you become PR your finally free to leave your company.?? My company said that I am still tied to them as it was them who got me me pr and I owe them while this is true I would not have got it without the lmia. I am unsure if it is legally true? I have no intentions to leave them immidetaily but down the line I was considering school but at the taughts of them trying to revoke it I am unsure sad and nervous now.
Thanks all :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are right. Your company is wrong.

Banff2015

Jul 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks I recently got copr am I have no idea why they said that to me to make me feel bad.. I appreciate your reply so much it has me that annoyed I am gonna seek legal help also.. Not one place on copr does it mention there name. Thank you expert poster a plus one from me for all your help :)

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think they would certainly want to you stay as it is a lot of work and input (financially and otherwise) to get an LMIA.

They can't make you stay.

AM198

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Banff2015 said:
Thanks I recently got copr am I have no idea why they said that to me to make me feel bad.. I appreciate your reply so much it has me that annoyed I am gonna seek legal help also.. Not one place on copr does it mention there name. Thank you expert poster a plus one from me for all your help :)
They have no right to even threaten you regarding your immigration status. A company is legally forbidden from threatening to deport a foreign worker. Once you have your PR you will remain a PR unless you break the law or rules regulating your status. Working for a specific employer are not one of them. They don't own you if that's what they think. However, if you have signed a contract with them for a future time period, they do have a legal case to get some sort of compensation from you if you break it or violate it in some way.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Banff2015 said:
Am I right in saying once you become PR your finally free to leave your company.?? My company said that I am still tied to them as it was them who got me me pr and I owe them while this is true I would not have got it without the lmia. I am unsure if it is legally true?
Generally, no, you are not legally bound, you are not an "indentured servant." You may have some moral/professional obligations, but as others have pointed out, these are not strictly legal, and it is illegal on their part to imply otherwise, or to threaten in any way.

However, you will have to review the contract that you signed with them, what clauses describe the term/length of employment; is there any type of "return of service" agreement? Every contract should also describe both the company's rights and your rights to terminate the contract (e.g. 2 week's notice...), as well as any consequences to breaching the contract.

Having said that, in general, the labour rules of the province where you work will override any language in the contract that is not legal in that province.

If you are truly concerned, you should consult a lawyer who specializes in labour law.

Banff2015

Jul 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks all you have all.just made me feel much better :) I will see a lawyer and bring along my contract for them to review :)