+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On PR card how long can you remain outside of Canada

Torontonian343

Mar 1, 2021
I have PR card status for over 15 years.
Now I want to reside in another country for indefinite years & later return to Canada in 2026. How long can I stay legally abroad as opposed to illegally? I am in process of receiving 5 year PR card but at the moment I have 1 year pr card.
The reason for leaving Canada is:
I have my mother who is very old & needs to be looked after. I am the only child who can help her out. On the other hand what are her chances if I sponsored her to come live with me instead?
Thank you for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have PR card status for over 15 years.
Now I want to reside in another country for indefinite years & later return to Canada in 2026. How long can I stay legally abroad as opposed to illegally? I am in process of receiving 5 year PR card but at the moment I have 1 year pr card.
The reason for leaving Canada is:
I have my mother who is very old & needs to be looked after. I am the only child who can help her out. On the other hand what are her chances if I sponsored her to come live with me instead?
Thank you for your help.
You have to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to meet the residency requirement. So technically you can stay out for 3 years straight - however once you return, you then cannot leave for 2 years straight.

In terms of sponsoring your mother, you would need to meet income requirements, wait for the lottery to reopen, enter the lottery and then hope you are selected, and then submit the application if you are selected. She will also need to pass a medical. More info here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

Note that you must be living in Canada in order to sponsor your mother for PR.

Reactions: Torontonian343

Torontonian343

Mar 1, 2021
You have to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to meet the residency requirement. So technically you can stay out for 3 years straight - however once you return, you then cannot leave for 2 years straight.

In terms of sponsoring your mother, you would need to meet income requirements, wait for the lottery to reopen, enter the lottery and then hope you are selected, and then submit the application if you are selected. She will also need to pass a medical. More info here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents.html

Note that you must be living in Canada in order to sponsor your mother for PR.
Thank you so much for your quick responses, highly appreciated.