+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

On H1B with Job. Have Can PR no job in Can. Debating if worth moving to Can

hereicomecanada

Oct 14, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in California on H1B and have a solid job. I have Canadian PR and I have to move there by June 2018 to meet PR obligation. I am applying for jobs in Canada, but no response. Also I estimated the cost of moving and importing my vehicle. It could to around $5500-$6000. If I move there with my family, the first couple of months I may be without job and will have to use my savings. The total initial cost including moving, importing vehicle and staying there could be around $10,000-$14,000.

So I am debating if it is worth quitting my current job and moving to Canada without a job and using up my savings.

If someone can provide opinion that will be helpful.
Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Guess might be difficult for anyone to comment without knowing what job you currently have.

Your other posts seem to indicate you landed 4/2016 so your initial 5 years within which you need 2 years residency expires 4/2021.

So assuming you made a typo with June 2018 but meant June 2019 that would be the PR card expiry date which is irrelevant to the RO. If you landed 4/2016 you need to be in Canada by 4/2019 and then stay 2 years without leaving at all.

Unfortunately many employers as you are finding out that unless someone has skills that they cannot find already are reluctant to be interested in anyone who implies they may be moving to Canada. Immigration for everyone is one big potential costly risk so not an easy decision between deciding on the odds of being permenant in the US, permenancy in Canada which you have guaranteed as long you meet the RO or return to your hone country.

Reactions: tobs
Aug 29, 2018
My 2 cents. Do not leave what you have in hope of getting something which is not guaranteed. Grass always looks greener on the other side.

All the best

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
@hereicomecanada , it all depends on your particular situation. All we, the people of the Internet, can do is give you some generic points to ponder (PS: I am new to this off-to-Canada thing, so this list is purely from online research and talking to some friends in Canada (CA):
  • answer @Bs65 's question: June 2019 gives you time, June 2018 is gone
  • is your field in demand in CA? this will answer why you are not finding jobs, either a lack of jobs or some issues with networking which might be solved if you were present in CA
  • does your spouse work? is her field in demand in CA? this may give you an income while you are looking for employment
  • what are your reasons to move? how urgent/desperate are they? this will determine how much risk you are ready to take. @DEEPCUR is right if you are not in a rush/desperate to move
  • what's your age? what's your PD for GC? how long can you wait? can you ride out the immi stagnation in US (if it ever gets solved)?
  • are you ready to work at a lower level job or even at an unskilled job? for how long are you ready to do this? again this will depend on the answer to the previous question. A 'yes' to this question will help you stretch out your savings a little more
  • having kids or parents to support/responsibilities will change the whole dynamics
Answering these questions will not get you a decision, most probably they will give rise to more questions. They are listed here to prompt you to consider them in your decision making. All the best

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello Everyone,

I am currently in California on H1B and have a solid job. I have Canadian PR and I have to move there by June 2018 to meet PR obligation. I am applying for jobs in Canada, but no response. Also I estimated the cost of moving and importing my vehicle. It could to around $5500-$6000. If I move there with my family, the first couple of months I may be without job and will have to use my savings. The total initial cost including moving, importing vehicle and staying there could be around $10,000-$14,000.

So I am debating if it is worth quitting my current job and moving to Canada without a job and using up my savings.

If someone can provide opinion that will be helpful.
Thank you
I assume that you are not spending money to import car when you move as a PR, except to fix daytime running lights / shipping the car.
H1 solid job: Well, you know that its just a work permit which can go away anytime, correct? Just trying to remind that its actually a fluid one (if we lose job or project and move place to place often) or even sometimes a vapor (if uscis/consulate/cbp denies). At least i am not a fan of it, even though i am still sticking to it. It goes well till we have job to .do. Having 50k job in Canada on PR is more solid than H1 - my opinion.
H1 is like an addiction or a mesmerizing thing - it looks very promising till we loose it and till we loose all other opportunities to immigrate to other countries or till kids get aged out. I am sure that you are from a backlogged country as you are having PR and trying to move - so if this is the case you need see whats worth for long term.

Is it worth? It depends on what you want and what your current situation is. We can get everything with the Canada route.
Some move for stability, growth and/or settlement as things are fluid in US and more waiting time for gc.
Some move for getting citizenship.
Some move due to kids aging out soon and/or wanted some travel document for kids.
Some move due to H1 exhausted.

Moving to Canada should not include:
Expecting same salary as the US one.
Expecting same skillset/job.

As others said, i too endorse "The other side is always green" and "if possible, move with some job for you/spouse".

Yes, moving without a job is very risky. I tried when i moved to Australia and it was stressful and painful. So one should avoid it if possible.
You can also move to Canadian border and try to hold your H1 job for sometime/till H1 lasts.

hereicomecanada

Oct 14, 2012
Thank you everyone for the elaborate responses. I appreciate that.

To clarify/respond to a few things above:

Yes, it was a typo, I need to be there by June 2019 to meet RO.
I am in Civil engg and most jobs require PEng which I cannot obtain until I have Canadian experience. My spouse is in finance and she was told that she needs to be there in order for recruiters/employers to consider her application. My green card priority date is June 2013 and may take another 6-8 years. My current H1 expires mid 2020. And who know what changes the current administration will make. Staying in the US hoping something good may happen with the GC process, may either be worth or I may loose Canadian PR and nothing may happen with the GC process.

I understand its only me who can decide what's the best option. Thanks you all for your inputs.

Reactions: Minta1

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thank you everyone for the elaborate responses. I appreciate that.

To clarify/respond to a few things above:

Yes, it was a typo, I need to be there by June 2019 to meet RO.
I am in Civil engg and most jobs require PEng which I cannot obtain until I have Canadian experience. My spouse is in finance and she was told that she needs to be there in order for recruiters/employers to consider her application. My green card priority date is June 2013 and may take another 6-8 years. My current H1 expires mid 2020. And who know what changes the current administration will make. Staying in the US hoping something good may happen with the GC process, may either be worth or I may loose Canadian PR and nothing may happen with the GC process.

I understand its only me who can decide what's the best option. Thanks you all for your inputs.
Don't you need a PEng or similar engineering thing to work as civil engineer in US?