+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP under review. Can I apply for Express Entry (CEC)?

legolas117

Star Member
Sep 7, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Hi all,

Background: I received acknowledgement for my OINP application (under international graduate masters stream) in October 2015. Still haven't received the nomination though. As of today, it's still "under review".

Plan of action: I was wondering if I can apply for Express Entry (because I now qualify for CEC) and get the PR faster. Just not sure if it's ok to apply for OINP and Express Entry/CEC at the same time. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you've enough points now (460+ appears to be the cutoff for next draw as well) and you create an EE profile, you would get a 'regular' ITA. If that happens, you can accept that and send a mail to OINP requesting them to stop process your application, withdraw it and refund your application fee.

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
If you've enough points now (460+ appears to be the cutoff for next draw as well) and you create an EE profile, you would get a 'regular' ITA. If that happens, you can accept that and send a mail to OINP requesting them to stop process your application, withdraw it and refund your application fee.
Just remember, OINP no longer refunds the application money if a person withdraws, reject or even if they reject the application. They only refund the money if the application is deemed incomplete in initial screening phase.

legolas117

Star Member
Sep 7, 2014
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Ok. I'll consider filing an EE profile soon.

Do you know how long it would usually take for OINP folks to issue the nomination? After they maxed out on applications for the previous year (2015) in November?

If we're looking at July/August 2016 (or even later), then EE is the the way to go.