+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP- marital status confusion

L7843257

Nov 8, 2022
Hi guys, I have some confusion regarding OINP- marital status.

I am not able to check how many marital status are there in OINP, the button turned grey after I submitted application. I vaguely remember there were married, single, partner...,etc.

Can anyone please let me know what are the different kinds in the application system? It is under Applicant information - marital status. I wanna make the status more accurate.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
In immigration, you never ever want to make the mistake of making something "more accurate" after the fact. It needs to be 100% accurate in the very moment you submit the application and no less. I find it astonishing how many people in this forum treat an immigration application as casually as setting up a Netflix account.

To answer your question, it would include divorced, separated and common-law. You won't be able to change it after submission because to do so would be misrepresentation (i.e. saying you're single instead of married).

L7843257

Nov 8, 2022
In immigration, you never ever want to make the mistake of making something "more accurate" after the fact. It needs to be 100% accurate in the very moment you submit the application and no less. I find it astonishing how many people in this forum treat an immigration application as casually as setting up a Netflix account.

To answer your question, it would include divorced, separated and common-law. You won't be able to change it after submission because to do so would be misrepresentation (i.e. saying you're single instead of married).
Thanks for your reply. No I didn’t lie. I just wanna know if they have separate options as “partner” and “common law”. Both are partnerships but one year time frame as the distinction?

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Thanks for your reply. No I didn’t lie. I just wanna know if they have separate options as “partner” and “common law”. Both are partnerships but one year time frame as the distinction?
There is no option for "partner" - partner is more a reference based on context than a legal term.

You options would be:
  • Married
  • Common-law/de facto
  • Separated
  • Divorced
  • Widowed
  • Single
The definition of common-law including timeframes entailed are explained here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-common.html

Girlfriends/playboys aren't marital statuses. Having one equates to being single for declaration purposes.

L7843257

Nov 8, 2022
There is no option for "partner" - partner is more a reference based on context than a legal term.

You options would be:
  • Married
  • Common-law/de facto
  • Separated
  • Divorced
  • Widowed
  • Single
The definition of common-law including timeframes entailed are explained here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-common.html

Girlfriends/playboys aren't marital statuses. Having one equates to being single for declaration purposes.
I checked this too. This is from IRCC. Ontario PNP has this “partner” option and that’s why I got confused and posted this - hope someone can give me some clarifications. I am thinking either it refers to common law partner or just general committed relationship lovers? It would help if all options are here

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
I checked this too. This is from IRCC. Ontario PNP has this “partner” option and that’s why I got confused and posted this - hope someone can give me some clarifications. I am thinking either it refers to common law partner or just general committed relationship lovers? It would help if all options are here
All federal and provincial governments, and CRA, take a consistent approach when it comes to marital status declarations, so you're mistaken. Ontario isn't going to be asking you if you have a girlfriend when IRCC nor any other provinces do it. To do so would mean that any person can come to Canada and give PR or a spousal permit to some girl they hooked up with for 2 nights in Thailand on Tinder because you've included that person in your OINP application which is then used to generate a certificate for the purposes of applying via IRCC.

The only definition of a "committed lover" accepted by the Government of Canada is either common-law or marriage. Only by virtue of those those ordeals can or should someone declare their marital status accordingly.

So to your question it would specifically be referred to as common-law partner because that is how the term is legally phrased. If you meet the definition of it then you should update OINP straight away.

Last edited: