+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP when coming back to Ontario

mrsTF

Apr 7, 2021
Hi,
I have a particular situation.
I have left Canada last year in March to go back home in Europe to take care of my parents. I am dual citizen, Ontario resident.
I thought i would be doing this for 4 months, but pandemic came and I decided to stay in Europe besides my parents rather than coming back to Canada.
I have worked remotely from Europe, for a Canadian company, paid all my taxes, kept my Canadian address. I have lived in Canada the two previous years, went out just for holidays.
Now, when i come back (i will in June, so 15 months out of Canada), i believe my OHIP will be ok, as per this:
Ontario waives three-month OHIP waiting period | CP24.com
Did anyone heard anything different, is this still valid?
What would be the reason for not having OHIP if you stay more than 7 months outside of Ontario, if you pay your taxes? Not only I paid all my taxes, but I did not use ON healthcare system, i had a private insurance policy.
I know i should have gone in person before leaving Canada last year, but initial plan was for 4 months only. I also tried to call the office, but waiting times are so long these days.

Thanks much!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I have a particular situation.
I have left Canada last year in March to go back home in Europe to take care of my parents. I am dual citizen, Ontario resident.
I thought i would be doing this for 4 months, but pandemic came and I decided to stay in Europe besides my parents rather than coming back to Canada.
I have worked remotely from Europe, for a Canadian company, paid all my taxes, kept my Canadian address. I have lived in Canada the two previous years, went out just for holidays.
Now, when i come back (i will in June, so 15 months out of Canada), i believe my OHIP will be ok, as per this:
Ontario waives three-month OHIP waiting period | CP24.com
Did anyone heard anything different, is this still valid?
What would be the reason for not having OHIP if you stay more than 7 months outside of Ontario, if you pay your taxes? Not only I paid all my taxes, but I did not use ON healthcare system, i had a private insurance policy.
I know i should have gone in person before leaving Canada last year, but initial plan was for 4 months only. I also tried to call the office, but waiting times are so long these days.

Thanks much!
Yes you were supposed to tell OHIP that you left so they could put your number on hold as you are supposed to if you leave Canada for an extended time. This prevents potential fraud. Waiving the 3 month wait period doesn’t mean that you don’t have to reapply to requalify and meet the residency requirement as a new resident. Really depends on whether you meet the residency requirement but it sounds like you might if you were in Canada for the 2 previous years. Would look at the residency requirements for OHIP to verify if you need to reapply. Qualifying for OHIP is dependent on your time in Canada and not whether you are a property owner or tax resident.

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
Yes you were supposed to tell OHIP that you left so they could put your number on hold as you are supposed to if you leave Canada for an extended time. This prevents potential fraud. Waiving the 3 month wait period doesn’t mean that you don’t have to reapply to requalify and meet the residency requirement as a new resident. Really depends on whether you meet the residency requirement but it sounds like you might if you were in Canada for the 2 previous years. Would look at the residency requirements for OHIP to verify if you need to reapply. Qualifying for OHIP is dependent on your time in Canada and not whether you are a property owner or tax resident.
When can I apply for an OHIP card .I got my work permit in December 1st week .Was wondering as one I believe one needs the ohip card for the COVID vaccine

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When can I apply for an OHIP card .I got my work permit in December 1st week .Was wondering as one I believe one needs the ohip card for the COVID vaccine
What type of work permit (is it based on a spouse?)and are you employed? Can your employer provide a letter indicating you will be working for 6 months?

Renadxb

Jun 24, 2018
What type of work permit (is it based on a spouse?)and are you employed? Can your employer provide a letter indicating you will be working for 6 months?
It’s not a spouse based .I am an international student whose on on post graduate work permit .Have been working for the past 3 months .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It’s not a spouse based .I am an international student whose on on post graduate work permit .Have been working for the past 3 months .
Your employer will need to provide you with a letter stating your will be working for them for at least 6 more months. Believe you must indicate you are full-time but not 100% about that one.