+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP - waiting period and self employed questions

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
Hello,

I have been living in Ontario since June 2018 with a temporary resident permit. I applied to extend my TRP and applied for an open work permit in August 2018. I recently received an approval for both and have some questions.

1. Usually there is a 90 days wait for OHIP. Under my circumstance, do I need to wait 3 months for OHIP given that I have been living in Ontario for over 7 months?
2. Can I apply for OHIP as self employed? My open work permit does not specify that I'm not allowed to have self employment. It only says that I'm not allowed to work in the sex trade business.

Your comments and inputs are appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Yes you must wait 90 days.
2. To qualify you must show proof that you will be employed for 6 months. I believe someone wrote exactly what must be contained in the letter.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
1. Yes you must wait 90 days.
2. To qualify you must show proof that you will be employed for 6 months. I believe someone wrote exactly what must be contained in the letter.
Thank you for the response. I read the criteria for the letter but it’s not for self employment.

HilBoston

May 30, 2020
Thank you for the response. I read the criteria for the letter but it’s not for self employment.
Currently, in the same situation. TRP, open work permit and self-employed. Did you ever get a response and find out what/how the letter should be written to satisfy Service Ontario to get OHIP. Any help or sample would be greatly appreciated!

nps_121283

Nov 10, 2020
Currently, in the same situation. TRP, open work permit and self-employed. Did you ever get a response and find out what/how the letter should be written to satisfy Service Ontario to get OHIP. Any help or sample would be greatly appreciated!
Any update from this post? Thanks..