+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP waiting period and proof of residence

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
As I said , depends on the person on opposite side of the counter. For me electronically signed lease was accepted, for my wife it was refused and she had to show other address proof.
It depends what other supportive documents you brought with you, it can't be one exception for one and not for the other.
No printout. no electronics are accepted unless is an escalation from the office for a strong health reason, emergency or temporary request.

ag123987

Feb 18, 2018
Hi,

I have a new related question.
I was wondering what is this document that is listed as an acceptable document for proof of residency:
- employer record (e.g. pay stub, letter from employer on company letterhead)

I am still living in an airbnb but I found a permanent job position.
Does it mean that I can ask some document from my new employer as a proof of residency?

Thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I have a new related question.
I was wondering what is this document that is listed as an acceptable document for proof of residency:
- employer record (e.g. pay stub, letter from employer on company letterhead)

I am still living in an airbnb but I found a permanent job position.
Does it mean that I can ask some document from my new employer as a proof of residency?

Thanks,
Since you are a PR you don't need a letter of employment. You just need proof of your permanent landing date. It is better to wait until you have a permanent address. No matter when you sign up the start date for OHIP will be 3 months from when you moved to Ontario for good.

ag123987

Feb 18, 2018
Since you are a PR you don't need a letter of employment. You just need proof of your permanent landing date. It is better to wait until you have a permanent address. No matter when you sign up the start date for OHIP will be 3 months from when you moved to Ontario for good.
I am not wondering about the waiting period. I know that my waiting period started when I landed last february.
My problem is that I might be eligible to OHIP before having a permanent address.
I arrived in february and I won't have a permanent address before May.
So I was expecting to find a possible document accepted by OHIP as proof of residency even if I am still in an Airbnb.
The letter from employer on company letterhead is listed as accepted for proof of residency.
What is this document? Can I ask it to my employer? Or does the document has to be mailed physically to a permanent address?

(mailed bank account statements are also accepted as proof of residency, but I couldn't give to the bank a temporary address, so I gave a friend's address to open the bank account, and I chose to receive the bank account statements electronically, so I cannot even use that)

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Bring whatever document you want. I would bring your boarding pass and lease that starts in May on top of any documents listed. You need your permanent address on your ohip card not airbnb address.

Elbagurl

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
I am not wondering about the waiting period. I know that my waiting period started when I landed last february.
My problem is that I might be eligible to OHIP before having a permanent address.
I arrived in february and I won't have a permanent address before May.
So I was expecting to find a possible document accepted by OHIP as proof of residency even if I am still in an Airbnb.
The letter from employer on company letterhead is listed as accepted for proof of residency.
What is this document? Can I ask it to my employer? Or does the document has to be mailed physically to a permanent address?

(mailed bank account statements are also accepted as proof of residency, but I couldn't give to the bank a temporary address, so I gave a friend's address to open the bank account, and I chose to receive the bank account statements electronically, so I cannot even use that)

Employment letterhead from your employer as a first time applicant might not be good enough for the office. You need a stronger sufficient document like mailed bank account statement, lease agreement, a utility bill , or you can apply for Ontario photo card with your friends address and you can get it from your friend. The problem is you need proof of address for Ontario photo card either.

Your ticket , letter of employer, can proof your residency requirements for calculating your 3 months waiting period, but it will not be sufficient to apply.

Think again if your friend is trusted what else you can receive temporary to his mail. Ohip don't care as long as you prove you live there or you get mail from there
Than you can change your address to your permanent address online. Not a problem

ag123987

Feb 18, 2018
@Elbagurl: I've just seen your post. Thank you for your answer which helps me a lot.

I have decided to ask the bank to send me my bank account statements by mail at my friend's address instead of electronically. I think I can trust my friend. I have already received my PR card by mail at his address. (Too bad, this is not listed as a proof of residency ^^) I will wait for the bank account statement. And I will also bring my first pay stub just in case.

For the Ontario photo card… if they ask for a permanent address it is not a solution. Unless they accept more easily the pay stub as a proof of residency for this card. Quick question about this: What if I ask for a photo card and then decide to exchange my french Driving license with the Ontario Driving license (I Don't want to do it right now but may decide to do it in the future), is it okay ? I Wonder because I've read this somewhere:

If you have a driver’s licence and want to get an Ontario Photo Card, you have to give up your licence. Your driver’s licence will be cancelled when you apply for your Photo Card. If you wish to re-apply for your Ontario driver’s licence, you may be subject to all tests and all wait periods.

And… I Don't want my driver's license to be cancelled…

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
@Elbagurl: I've just seen your post. Thank you for your answer which helps me a lot.

I have decided to ask the bank to send me my bank account statements by mail at my friend's address instead of electronically. I think I can trust my friend. I have already received my PR card by mail at his address. (Too bad, this is not listed as a proof of residency ^^) I will wait for the bank account statement. And I will also bring my first pay stub just in case.

For the Ontario photo card… if they ask for a permanent address it is not a solution. Unless they accept more easily the pay stub as a proof of residency for this card. Quick question about this: What if I ask for a photo card and then decide to exchange my french Driving license with the Ontario Driving license (I Don't want to do it right now but may decide to do it in the future), is it okay ? I Wonder because I've read this somewhere:

If you have a driver’s licence and want to get an Ontario Photo Card, you have to give up your licence. Your driver’s licence will be cancelled when you apply for your Photo Card. If you wish to re-apply for your Ontario driver’s licence, you may be subject to all tests and all wait periods.

And… I Don't want my driver's license to be cancelled…
I rented UPS box for 3 months. Got a bank statement on that UPS box address.
Got my OHIP card on that address.

Reactions: ag123987

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Not related to a regular scenario, but might need this info in future as I applied for the PGP.

For sponsored parents, what is the easiest way to show their residency? Bank statement? Any other options?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not related to a regular scenario, but might need this info in future as I applied for the PGP.

For sponsored parents, what is the easiest way to show their residency? Bank statement? Any other options?
Would wait until your parents get PGP. You’re thinking too far ahead.