+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Residency Proof

shahinsurti

Jul 6, 2017
Hi,

Me and my family (wife and kids) landed in Toronto in May 2018. We stayed for few months, received our PR card and SIN and left the country with intention of returning permanently by early 2020. We did not apply for OHIP since we knew that we would be out of the country for a more than a year.

Due to the pandemic, we could not return in 2020. Fast forward to May 2021, we are now in the process of moving permanently to Toronto.
Wife and daughter will go in June 2021 and I will join after a month. My wife is pregnant (due in July 2021) and we plan to give birth in Toronto.

I believe that she will be eligible for OHIP since the waiting period has been waived off, however, we have few concerns regarding residency proofs:

1) We have already opened a chequing bank account with TD bank and savings account with EQ bank. Both statement will be generated beginning of July 2021 month. Can we submit printed e-statement (which shows the address) as proof of residency OR or do we have to wait for paper statement to be mailed to our address. We may not have sufficient time to wait for mailed statements since my wife is due to deliver the baby in July. This may be cutting it too close

2) Alternatively, there is another option of submitting life insurance policy. Any idea what proof can be submitted here (receipt, policy, original, printout?)

3) Finally, we will be staying with my wife's Sister and her family (all Canadian Citizens) for at least 6 months. Would submitting a lease agreement (say a 6 month lease) with my brother-in-law as landlord and my wife as a Tenant be a better option for residency proof? Will such a proof be accepted.

Any assistance here would be much appreciated.

Regards,
S

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whatever you do, you need to book a 3 day mandatory government approved quarantine hotel before you and your family can board airplane to Canada. Btw, there are possibility that your wife might give birth in the plane enrouting to Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Did you check the travel plan with a doctor? Travelling a month before the due day could be dangerous.
Some airline may not even let someone so into their pregnancy to board.