+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP Requirements(Urgent-Please help me!)

Tom836

Aug 20, 2013
Hello all,
I'm an inland applicant who has recently received the PR card and has already been in Ontario for 4 years. I'm going to visit my country for around 40 days, but the OHIP Requirements say that I have to:

*you make your primary place of residence in Ontario; and generally,
*you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence); and
*you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

Does it mean that I cannot go to my country for vacation for around 40 days now?

In other words does the first 183 days (out of which we need to be in Ontario) need to be from the time we officially landed after getting the PR Card or from the time I first came to Canada as an student 4 years ago?

Appreciate your help

coshx

May 8, 2013
Re: OHIP Requirements

Tom836 said:
Hello all,
I'm an inland applicant who has recently received the PR card and has already been in Ontario for 4 years. I'm going to visit my country for around 40 days, but the OHIP Requirements say:

*you make your primary place of residence in Ontario; and generally,
*you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence); and
*you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period.

Does it mean that I cannot go to my country for vacation for around 40 days now?

In other words does the first 183 days (out of which we need to be in Ontario) need to be from the time we officially landed after getting the PR Card or from the time I first came to Canada as an student 4 years ago?

Appreciate your help
If it is a requirement for Nomination, it is different from if you become a PR. If it is a requirement when you applied for Ontario nomination, then it actually means that you cannot leave the province for the stipulated time after you've been nominated.
If however, it is a requirement after you become permanent resident of Canada, then it starts counting from the day you did your landing.

Hope this helps!

Tom836

Aug 20, 2013
Re: OHIP Requirements

coshx said:
If it is a requirement for Nomination, it is different from if you become a PR. If it is a requirement when you applied for Ontario nomination, then it actually means that you cannot leave the province for the stipulated time after you've been nominated.
If however, it is a requirement after you become permanent resident of Canada, then it starts counting from the day you did your landing.

Hope this helps!

Sorry what do you mean "if it is a requirement for Nomination" or "If it is a requirement when you applied for Ontario nomination"?!

They are the requirements of eligibility of OHIP when you apply for it (Please see health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_eligibility.aspx)

Tom836

Aug 20, 2013
Re: OHIP Requirements(I DO Appreciate your help)

Please someone help me! I have come to my home country to visit my country (My plan has been to stay here for 40 days) and now I'm seriouslly scared if I must not be out of Ontario for more than 30 days.

I DO APPRECIATE YOUR HELP

Tom836

Aug 20, 2013
I found the following statement from (health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/ohip_waiting_pd.aspx)

"*The requirement to be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in the first 183 days after residence is established in Ontario only applies to new or returning residents:
Who move to Ontario from another country or
Who move to Ontario from another province/territory where they were not covered by the health insurance of that province/territory
"

So am I right that me who has been in Ontario for 4 years prior of applying for PR don't need to meet this requirement?

Many thanks!