+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP - Mobile Worker Status as Temporary Work Permit Holder

gatbel

Oct 21, 2020
Hi,
I am currently in Ontario under a Open Worker Permit linked to my spouse who's working full time in Ontario. I recently got a job which requires frequent travel out of province therefore I can't comply with the 153 days of residency in Ontario requirement. I'd like to apply to the Mobile Worker status, but I am stuck in a full fledged shenanigan loop, where I am successively told by Service Ontario that I can apply for this status then I am being told that as Temporary Worker I am not eligible.
Anyone had similar experience and has some insights to offer ?
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I am currently in Ontario under a Open Worker Permit linked to my spouse who's working full time in Ontario. I recently got a job which requires frequent travel out of province therefore I can't comply with the 153 days of residency in Ontario requirement. I'd like to apply to the Mobile Worker status, but I am stuck in a full fledged shenanigan loop, where I am successively told by Service Ontario that I can apply for this status then I am being told that as Temporary Worker I am not eligible.
Anyone had similar experience and has some insights to offer ?
Thanks!
Is your employer located in Ontario? Is the first time you have applied for OHIP or have you had OHIP coverage in the past. How much time will you spend in Ontario? Will you be travelling outside Canada or will the travel be internationally? Is this a job that is an essential service like a truck driver? Would suggest going to the large service Ontario sites which have the more senior staff.

gatbel

Oct 21, 2020
I spend about 2-3 weeks a month in Ontario. I was previously covered by OHIP as a dependant (my spouse is working full time Ontario). However as I started working, I was no longer eligible as I spent more than 30 days outside Ontario during my first 6 months of residence and lost my OHIP coverage.
I called Service Ontario and they told me I could apply as Mobile Worker, then when I went to (a large) Service Ontario they told me I wasn't eligible. So you see the whole non-sense loop ;-)
What I find weird is that when I was not employed I was covered, but now that I started working and paying taxes I lost my coverage -it seems odd.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I spend about 2-3 weeks a month in Ontario. I was previously covered by OHIP as a dependant (my spouse is working full time Ontario). However as I started working, I was no longer eligible as I spent more than 30 days outside Ontario during my first 6 months of residence and lost my OHIP coverage.
I called Service Ontario and they told me I could apply as Mobile Worker, then when I went to (a large) Service Ontario they told me I wasn't eligible. So you see the whole non-sense loop ;-)
What I find weird is that when I was not employed I was covered, but now that I started working and paying taxes I lost my coverage -it seems odd.
Are you spending the remainder of the time in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes I always travel within Canada…
At least being within Canada you would have a better argument than spending all the time abroad. All you can do is petition to be considered under the mobile worker program. Are you an essential worker like a truck driver? That could also help.