+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ohip eligibility

keershy0911

Jan 25, 2021
Hi guys,

So me and my daughter landed as dependents of my husband who holds a valid work permit.Are we both eligible for Ohip .

However the border officer did not stamp our passports.

In this case, are we eligible and if yes what are the requirements for the documents.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi guys,

So me and my daughter landed as dependents of my husband who holds a valid work permit.Are we both eligible for Ohip .

In this case, are we eligible and if yes what are the requirements for the documents.
As far as I know , dependents of a work permit holder is not an immigration status.

Do you have an OWP? Does you daughter has a study permit? Or do one or both of you have a TRV?

I will wait for other memebers to reply on OHIP eligibility.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

Yes you and your child should qualify for OHIP based on your spouse’s job if it is full-time over 6 months. If nothing was stamped in your passport you were only granted a 6 month stay unless you have a OWP with a different expiry date. If you plan on living in Canada you should be applying for an OWP as long as your spouse is working in NOC 0, A or B

keershy0911

Jan 25, 2021
Yes you and your child should qualify for OHIP based on your spouse’s job if it is full-time over 6 months. If nothing was stamped in your passport you were only granted a 6 month stay unless you have a OWP with a different expiry date. If you plan on living in Canada you should be applying for an OWP as long as your spouse is working in NOC 0, A or B
Thank you.Yes I checked with service Ontario and we both were eligible

Reactions: bonjourToto

prindav2021

Oct 26, 2021
Thank you.Yes I checked with service Ontario and we both were eligible
Hello good morning, I’d like to know a little bit more about your case. I’m a temporary worker with a full time job and I already have my OHIP card. My wife and my 2 kids recently arrived to Canada, yesterday we went to service ontario and they told my wife is not elegible because she has an open work permit and she must have a full-time job to be elegible. Did they tell you the same to you? Anyone can help me or give some orientation about this? Thanks in advance.

keershy0911

Jan 25, 2021
Hello good morning, I’d like to know a little bit more about your case. I’m a temporary worker with a full time job and I already have my OHIP card. My wife and my 2 kids recently arrived to Canada, yesterday we went to service ontario and they told my wife is not elegible because she has an open work permit and she must have a full-time job to be elegible. Did they tell you the same to you? Anyone can help me or give some orientation about this? Thanks in advance.
Hi...so I'm not on an open work permit..mine is a dependent visa and since I'm eligible as a dependent.
But I'm not so sure about open work permit..I think she needs to be working to be eligible ..is she working anywhere? Remotely?

prindav2021

Oct 26, 2021
Hi...so I'm not on an open work permit..mine is a dependent visa and since I'm eligible as a dependent.
But I'm not so sure about open work permit..I think she needs to be working to be eligible ..is she working anywhere? Remotely?
No she’s not working yet. However I cannot understand how she can be here without the OHIP. What happened if she get sick?

alfredo276

Sep 26, 2023
Did you get a response on this?

alfredo276

Sep 26, 2023
Finally she got it after many fights and arguments in service ontario. The person at the desk didn’t have enough knowledge about the process and that’s why she got denied severe times.
Which Service Ontario did you go?
I got the same response in Burlington... :(
Your case is the same as mine (although I don't have children)

prindav2021

Oct 26, 2021
Which Service Ontario did you go?
I got the same response in Burlington... :(
Your case is the same as mine (although I don't have children)
Im in northern Ontario, you have to try to talk to the office manager and show her what is written on ircc web site, in my case, they made a call after that and she cane back with a positive answer.