+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligibility

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
my father in law arrived to Canada in march just before COVID, and intended staying 2 weeks before returning back home to actually settle in Canada on November 2020.

He ended staying 3 months (return flights all canceled) did apply and received OHIP at the time

Around june he did return back to resolve some issues, and now plans to get back to Canada this month

Is he eligible for OHIP right away, is there a need to apply? What about private insurance for first 3 months. Is this needed? And if it is, where best to buy? He can't buy travel insurance in country of origin due COVID...

He is taking a Covid test before the flight to Canada, assuming it is negative what does he need to do here on arrival?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
my father in law arrived to Canada in march just before COVID, and intended staying 2 weeks before returning back home to actually settle in Canada on November 2020.

He ended staying 3 months (return flights all canceled) did apply and received OHIP at the time

Around june he did return back to resolve some issues, and now plans to get back to Canada this month

Is he eligible for OHIP right away, is there a need to apply? What about private insurance for first 3 months. Is this needed? And if it is, where best to buy? He can't buy travel insurance in country of origin due COVID...

He is taking a Covid test before the flight to Canada, assuming it is negative what does he need to do here on arrival?
He needs to reapply for ohip and did not qualify for any services he used if he used his 1st ohip card. He could be asked to repay any healthcare related services he used during that first 3 months. You should read up on the residency rules you must follow to be elligible for ohip coverage. A valid card is not enough.

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
He needs to reapply for ohip and did not qualify for any services he used if he used his 1st ohip card. He could be asked to repay any healthcare related services he used during that first 3 months. You should read up on the residency rules you must follow to be elligible for ohip coverage. A valid card is not enough.
He didn't use any services and had travel insurance anyway

I read they waive the 3 month waiting period as of march 19th

So does it mean no waiting is needed?

Thus the question. Do i need to do him private insurance (recommend something please), and for how much time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He didn't use any services and had travel insurance anyway

I read they waive the 3 month waiting period as of march 19th

So does it mean no waiting is needed?

Thus the question. Do i need to do him private insurance (recommend something please), and for how much time?
Currently the 3 months is waived due to covid but you should doublecheck when he arrives. He still needs to reapply.

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
Currently the 3 months is waived due to covid but you should doublecheck when he arrives. He still needs to reapply.
Sure, he arrives soon in 1-2 weeks, this probably won't change

But do I need to do private insurance until I receive a reply from OHIP after application?
Obviously he is required for 14 days quarantine first so he can't really go to ServiceOntario for this time

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sure, he arrives soon in 1-2 weeks, this probably won't change

But do I need to do private insurance until I receive a reply from OHIP after application?
Obviously he is required for 14 days quarantine first so he can't really go to ServiceOntario for this time
Would suggest taking out insurance until he at least lands in Canada. Technically he qualifies for healthcare once he lands but if he uses healthcare during the 14 days he would need to ask OHIP to back date his coverage. May be just easier to take out coverage for the flight and 14 day quarantine.

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
Would suggest taking out insurance until he at least lands in Canada. Technically he qualifies for healthcare once he lands but if he uses healthcare during the 14 days he would need to ask OHIP to back date his coverage. May be just easier to take out coverage for the flight and 14 day quarantine.
He is already landed immigrant, he has permanent residency/PR card and SIN number
The flight is direct so he does arrive to Canada the same day he leaves (time difference but it is a same day)

so do you mean he needs one day insurance for the flight?

Or 14 day insurance for the quarantine?
He is not planning on using any healthcare for the 14 days of quarantine (I'm not sure what you actually have to do on quarantine and have a medical emergency)

What do you mean about asking OHIP to backdate the coverage, do you have a link for this policy?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He is already landed immigrant, he has permanent residency/PR card and SIN number
The flight is direct so he does arrive to Canada the same day he leaves (time difference but it is a same day)

so do you mean he needs one day insurance for the flight?

Or 14 day insurance for the quarantine?
He is not planning on using any healthcare for the 14 days of quarantine (I'm not sure what you actually have to do on quarantine and have a medical emergency)

What do you mean about asking OHIP to backdate the coverage, do you have a link for this policy?

Thanks
He doesn't qualify for healthcare while travelling to Canada so yes I would recommend having insurance on the long flight especially with covid. Personally think it is better to be safe but it is a personal choice. If you got sick and are in quarantine you should call public health. If it is an emergency or you can't reach public health you'd call 911 and explain that you were in quarantine. They'd likely send you an ambulance with paramedics wearing PPE and bring you to a hospital where you could be isolated, examined and treated. Normally it says that if you qualified for OHIP based on your residency status OHIP you can apply for OHIP coverage to be backdated if you hadn't had a chance to apply for OHIP. The rules are slightly different due to covid. Now you qualify for OHIP right aaway but have to quarantine so people will go to service Ontario on the first business day after the 14 day quarantine is over. Before covid people would apply for covid during the 3 months and they'd receive coverage starting after the 3rd month but most would have their card before their coverage started. Since your father didn't meet the RO for OHIP he needs to reapply but he won't have to wait to receive coverage again like he would have needed to do pre-covid. May seem a bit pointless but best to follow the rules and reapply to always be compliant with the rules.

Reactions: mashulia_26

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
He doesn't qualify for healthcare while travelling to Canada so yes I would recommend having insurance on the long flight especially with covid. Personally think it is better to be safe but it is a personal choice. If you got sick and are in quarantine you should call public health. If it is an emergency or you can't reach public health you'd call 911 and explain that you were in quarantine. They'd likely send you an ambulance with paramedics wearing PPE and bring you to a hospital where you could be isolated, examined and treated. Normally it says that if you qualified for OHIP based on your residency status OHIP you can apply for OHIP coverage to be backdated if you hadn't had a chance to apply for OHIP. The rules are slightly different due to covid. Now you qualify for OHIP right aaway but have to quarantine so people will go to service Ontario on the first business day after the 14 day quarantine is over. Before covid people would apply for covid during the 3 months and they'd receive coverage starting after the 3rd month but most would have their card before their coverage started. Since your father didn't meet the RO for OHIP he needs to reapply but he won't have to wait to receive coverage again like he would have needed to do pre-covid. May seem a bit pointless but best to follow the rules and reapply to always be compliant with the rules.
Thanks

summaiya_t

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
Hi everyone, does anyone know what is the maximum number of letters that can be printed on the Ontario Health Card. What happens if the name is longer? Is there any character limit. My son's full name has about 25 characters including spacing. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone, does anyone know what is the maximum number of letters that can be printed on the Ontario Health Card. What happens if the name is longer? Is there any character limit. My son's full name has about 25 characters including spacing. Thanks
OHIP office will know what to do