+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OHIP eligibility - landing was over two years - blessed with twins

bharathk12

Dec 1, 2019
Hi,
Can you help me about the eligibility for OHIP for babies born in US.
Me and my wife both are PR card holders since May 2017 and planing to settle in Canada permanently by Jan 2020. We blessed with twin boys in OCT 2017 after we received PR.
Both boys are US citizens.
What is the process for applying PR for them and OHIP eligibility along with us.
DO we need to apply for special VISA for twin boys in order to eligible for OHIO while we enter Canada.

Please help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
Can you help me about the eligibility for OHIP for babies born in US.
Me and my wife both are PR card holders since May 2017 and planing to settle in Canada permanently by Jan 2020. We blessed with twin boys in OCT 2017 after we received PR.
Both boys are US citizens.
What is the process for applying PR for them and OHIP eligibility along with us.
DO we need to apply for special VISA for twin boys in order to eligible for OHIO while we enter Canada.

Please help.
You can apply to sponsor them once you are in Canada. They enter as visitors, no special visa.

As visitors, they will not qualify for OHIP. Ensure you have insurance coverage for them for emergencies until they have PR. You will have to pay out of pocket for any regular doctor visits.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Between sponsoring a child plus the 3 month wait period for OHIP could mean up to a year without OHIP perhaps a bit more. Would reserve using medical insurance for expensive emergencies. You don’t want insurance canceled for minor incidents. You should pay out of pocket for those.