Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-01-2021
Med's Done....
09-02-2021
Hi guys,

Couldn't find a clear answer for this one, so hope you guys can help.

I'm currently under a work visa and will be getting my OHIP soon. My partner, however, is not yet a resident here, though he is planning to study starting next year. Once we've become common law partners (1 year cohabitation), is he now eligible for OHIP as a spouse/common law partner of a foreign worker? If so, does he apply for OHIP on his own, or should I go back to ServiceOntario and revise my OHIP to include him? Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,

Couldn't find a clear answer for this one, so hope you guys can help.

I'm currently under a work visa and will be getting my OHIP soon. My partner, however, is not yet a resident here, though he is planning to study starting next year. Once we've become common law partners (1 year cohabitation), is he now eligible for OHIP as a spouse/common law partner of a foreign worker? If so, does he apply for OHIP on his own, or should I go back to ServiceOntario and revise my OHIP to include him? Thanks!
OHIP depends on the person’s individual status. If your partner gets a SOWP and can show proof that he/she will have a job for at least 6 months they will qualify for OHIP but will have to do the 3month wait period first. If your partner is an international student they qualify for UHIP which is the required plan for international students.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
With regard to UHIP, make sure that it is valid during vacation days.

As I have seen some which will not cover during vacation days or breaks between semesters.

PJJUNE

May 3, 2021
Yes, If you are qualify to apply OHIP, your Common Law partner will also eligible to apply as well. I know this question doesn't have a official answer in the website, but I did help my girlfriend to get the OHIP.with my full-time(permanent job offer).
My story
I got my OHIP in 2020, but when I asked the employee in the service Ontario if my gf can also apply(as a dependent) even without a full-time job, they told me that we should have at least three years reletionship to proof our relationship. But when we come back at 2021 May(which is our third years in common law), it turns out you don't even need to have three years common law to apply. As long as your are in common law relationship, you can appy for your partner.

What you need is to bring are the same documentations that you use to apply your OHIP.
1. Employment letter (you) make sure your employment letter MUST no later than a month before you go to service Ontario.
2. Proof of legal status(your partner)
open working permit
3. Proof of identification (your partner)
passport
4. Proof of address (your partner)
it can be insurance policy with address or driver's license

Reactions: alfredo276

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, If you are qualify to apply OHIP, your Common Law partner will also eligible to apply as well. I know this question doesn't have a official answer in the website, but I did help my girlfriend to get the OHIP.with my full-time(permanent job offer).
My story
I got my OHIP in 2020, but when I asked the employee in the service Ontario if my gf can also apply(as a dependent) even without a full-time job, they told me that we should have at least three years reletionship to proof our relationship. But when we come back at 2021 May(which is our third years in common law), it turns out you don't even need to have three years common law to apply. As long as your are in common law relationship, you can appy for your partner.

What you need is to bring are the same documentations that you use to apply your OHIP.
1. Employment letter (you) make sure your employment letter MUST no later than a month before you go to service Ontario.
open working permit
passport
You are replying to a post from 2019,

alfredo276

Sep 26, 2023
My story

open working permit
passport
Hi! Which Service Ontario did you go?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! Which Service Ontario did you go?
Shouldn’t matter what service Ontario. Your ability to prove that you are common law will be the big issue. You will also need to prove that the partner is employed full-time in a job that is scheduled to last over 6 months.