+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Obtaining Certificate of Departure outside of Canada

lyt0101

Apr 13, 2011
Hello fellow forum members,

My father got a departure order as a result of a negative decision to his appeal of PR status, and the order was issued Jan 8th. He has 30 days to report for departure and leave the country before it becomes a deportation order.

The situation he's in though, is that he already left the country on Dec 2, over a month before the departure order was issue, and he had no idea at that time that he needed to obtain a certificate of departure should he need to entry to country again with a visitor visa or any other sorts of manners. I have contacted the CBSA and they said he's outside of Canada right now so there's nothing they can do, and asked me to contact IRCC. But apparently the IRCC client support centre is under maintenance and I can't gather enough information from their website.

Does anyone know how my father can obtain a certificate of departure outside of Canada? At the very minimum, at least a certified proof that he's physically outside of Canada before the 30 day period given on the departure order?

Any answer is highly appreciated!

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm not sure where to post it.

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello fellow forum members,

My father got a departure order as a result of a negative decision to his appeal of PR status, and the order was issued Jan 8th. He has 30 days to report for departure and leave the country before it becomes a deportation order.

The situation he's in though, is that he already left the country on Dec 2, over a month before the departure order was issue, and he had no idea at that time that he needed to obtain a certificate of departure should he need to entry to country again with a visitor visa or any other sorts of manners. I have contacted the CBSA and they said he's outside of Canada right now so there's nothing they can do, and asked me to contact IRCC. But apparently the IRCC client support centre is under maintenance and I can't gather enough information from their website.

Does anyone know how my father can obtain a certificate of departure outside of Canada? At the very minimum, at least a certified proof that he's physically outside of Canada before the 30 day period given on the departure order?

Any answer is highly appreciated!
1. Probably contact a Canadian consulate overseas.

lyt0101

Apr 13, 2011
Hi

1. Probably contact a Canadian consulate overseas.
Thanks for the reply.

He had already been to the closest Canadian consulate and they said they knew nothing of the sort, nor did they have the service to grant him a certificate of departure there.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Thanks for the reply.

He had already been to the closest Canadian consulate and they said they knew nothing of the sort, nor did they have the service to grant him a certificate of departure there.
1. They should have confirmed his departure and sent the information to CBSA, they just didn't want to do the work. Contact CBSA with a webform.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hey there, the process for what you're asking is in the Enforcement Manual https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf10-eng.pdf

It's 28.5, page 62 of ENF10.

You get to read it for yourself, however it states, "this provision addresses the oversight by certain foreign nationals to verify their removal orders at a port of entry at the time of their departure."

Why doesn't the person working for foreign affairs overseas understand a process begun by IRCC and concluded by the IRB to be enforced eventually by the CBSA? Well, the question is the answer.