+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath ceremony reschedule, currently live and work in the US

apsa24

Mar 24, 2024
Hello,
I received an invite for my oath ceremony for February 1st, 2024.

However, I was unable to attend and emailed IRCC in advance of the scheduled ceremony saying that I am unable to attend because I had only recently moved to the US (H4 visa) and started a new job. I couldn't take leave of absence for my new job to travel to Canada for my oath ceremony.

They responded on March 19th, 2024 saying this

"Thank you for informing us that you are currently outside of Canada.
Please note, we can only postpone the ceremony up to a maximum of 6 months for the first time. Once you are back in Canada, please contact us and provide proof of your return, such as the boarding passes, ONLY THEN, we will reschedule you for an oath ceremony. Please remember to include your application number when replying back."

My Questions:
1. Since I am working in the US, I can temporarily travel back to Canada for my oath ceremony and send evidence of my one way travel when I reach Canada. However, I have to travel back for my job. Is this okay?

2. Can I travel taking a train (Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, Canada) and show them the Amtrak ticket as evidence of entering Canada?. Amtrak issues tickets which are to be presented for boarding. Unlike flights there are no separate boarding passes issued. So I wanted to make sure emailing them an Amtrak ticket upon arrival in Vancouver is okay.

3. I am planning to travel on June 8th, 2024 to present evidence of landing in Vancouver, Canada but will have to return on June 9th back to Seattle, USA where I work. I will send them my one way ticket from Seattle to Vancouver. Since I only have 6 months from my first oath appointment, is this sufficient time for rescheduling the ceremony.

Thanks a lot. Any advice will be helpful.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
you can do that but it will take a while before they reschedule. someone on here waited 1 whole year before they got a new date after showing that they returned to canada. i think the 6 months is so that they don't deem your application as abandoned and you have to re apply for citizenship again.