+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nursing in Toronto

rmurray34

Oct 15, 2013
I need some advise! I have moved to Toronto, I completed my nursing degree in the United Kingdom in 2011 and have two years experience as a theatre nurse. I have applied for my registration with the CNO they replied to me today stating that my degree I completed is not approved or equivalent. I have to now complete an evaluation consisting of a short multiple choice written test and an OSCE Examination! Has this happened to anyone else what does this exam and OSCE consist off? Any advise would be great!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont know what a theatre nurse is. I imagine its a nurse that sits next to the stage and in the event the performers collapse due to exhaustion you'll be there for them, here we just call 911. Unfotunately theatre culture is not very prominent in Canada, we only watch hockey and drink beer. I am not surprised your education is not recognized here because you have to remember your education is only good to legally cross Canadian border and settle as an immigrant but not good enough to get you a job. You have to redo your degree from a Canadian university.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
newtone said:
I dont know what a theatre nurse is. I imagine its a nurse that sits next to the stage and in the event the performers collapse due to exhaustion you'll be there for them, here we just call 911.
Theatre nurses are nurses that work in the OR (operating room).

I can't help with the qualifications question.

pickednotes

Star Member
Oct 26, 2011
I apologize for the idiotic reply you got here, syclla had the best response, at least for the O.R, nurse part.

Fortunately my friend, you are not alone in your endeavours. 99.9% of Internationally Educated Nurses are in the same predicament. The buffoon is correct, we have to recalibrate our education to Canadian standards. Best thing I'd advise is get registered as an RPN first. From there, you can branch out to other opportunities. It is sad that we IEN's have to experience these unfortunate circumstances.

Their house, their rules.

Wish you all the best buddy. Feel free to pm me regarding health care licensure matters. I'll help you in any way that I can.

maxvol

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
pickednotes said:
I apologize for the idiotic reply you got here, syclla had the best response, at least for the O.R, nurse part.

Fortunately my friend, you are not alone in your endeavours. 99.9% of Internationally Educated Nurses are in the same predicament. The buffoon is correct, we have to recalibrate our education to Canadian standards. Best thing I'd advise is get registered as an RPN first. From there, you can branch out to other opportunities. It is sad that we IEN's have to experience these unfortunate circumstances.

Their house, their rules.

Wish you all the best buddy. Feel free to pm me regarding health care licensure matters. I'll help you in any way that I can.
Atleast he is not ashamed to admit that he dosent know what a theater nurse is. Loosen up man! I think you are the buffoon to assume that International nurses will get the same level of jobs in Canada. If you walk into a Canadian hospital with pain would you like to be treated by a nurse who just stepped off a plane from Bangladesh? Or would you rather have a nurse who is trained in Canada, understands Canadian patients, knows how to communicate in English, understands Canadian medical ethics, follows procedures and protocol as per Canadian standards. So instead of being such as asswipe start with some common sense, it sickens me to think people like you are nurses, hopefully not in Canada with this kind of attitude and this is exactly why, now you know! retard!

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
http://www.canadianmna.com/Education.aspx

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why such heated debates with personal insults and attacks over a simple question asked? Everyone, please calm down and let's be adults.

We all are either future immigrants or recently settled ones, and all we need is help each other by sharing our knowledge and experiences. No need to take things personal and argue. What for?

To OP: I don't know about Nursing regulations, much less about regulations in general in Canada.

But in US we have large number of immigrants who are doctors and who have graduated overseas.

Since they must be licensed to perform their tasks and since it's tightly regulated specialty, all of the doctors I know (whoever graduated overseas) had to pass rigorous tests and get their license to practice in US before they could work in their field. This is a normal procedure.
It may have nothing to do with recognition of your credentials from overseas. So, first you need to find out and clarify what exactly you are missing and what you have to do in order to get your qualifications in accord with what Canadian authorities request to work in your field.
Once you find out then just take whatever steps you are required to take and get it done.
If I were you I would try to find someone who was in similar circumstances to you and who already passed tests/examination and currently works in the field. Don't panic, just do your research thoroughly and then do what you are requested to do in order get your qualifications recognized in Canada.