Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
Hi everyone,

I just received a notice of reassessment from CRA that shows they have updated/reduced two things,

1. Total federal non-refundable tax credits
2. Total (Provincial) non-refundable tax credits

This makes my refund for 2018 return (that I have already received) effectively reduced by 50% and I have to pay that much back.

Do you think this is something specific to me? or these tax credit changes signal a country/province wide update.

Please help clarify so that I can plan the next course of action.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I just received a notice of reassessment from CRA that shows they have updated/reduced two things,

This makes my refund for 2018 return (that I have already received) effectively reduced by 50% and I have to pay that much back.

Do you think this is something specific to me? or these tax credit changes signal a country/province wide update.

Thanks
It's a change to you. Call CRA if you dont know why.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone,

Thanks
It’s specific too you . Means you applied for corrects that you weren’t eligible for . When you file a tax return the system will take the return assume it’s correct , and issue the refund . It will then start comparing to what you filed to information the government has received
As mentioned call personal income tax for more information, or after that, if you still don’t agree you can file an appeal

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/complaints-disputes/file-objection-cppei-appeal-minister/income-tax-decision-tree.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/complaints-disputes/file-objection-cppei-appeal-minister/income-tax.html

On your notice it should tell you what changes were made to your return

Reactions: torontosm

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
Thanks for the replies. I thought I shall call CRA first and then get back to this thread. After couple of tries, couldn't get hold of anyone. So ended up paying whatever they asked as tomorrow is the deadline.

I am still clueless why they changed the refundable tax credits (for whatever they mean). I used SimpleTax to fill my return and my return is also one of the simplest. Just one source of income and nothing claimed, just standard deductions.