+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC and Job Duties match question. Am I getting the right work experience for PR?

Vadim26

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hi everyone, I have graduated with a Mechanical Engineering Technology Diploma in May and just received my work permit for 3 years.

Here is the little dillemma that I am having. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me. I want to make sure I am getting the right work experience, that can be later used for PR application.

The duties that I perform at my current place doesn't 100% match the NOC.

Here is the closest NOC I could find: (in brackets are the one I don't perform at my job) (6 or 7 out of 9 match)
  • 2253 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians
    • Develop and prepare engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data
    • Operate computer-assisted design (CAD) and drafting workstations
    • Develop and prepare design sketches
    • Complete documentation packages and produce drawing sets
    • Check and verify design drawings to conform to specifications and design data
    • **(Write technical reports)**
    • **(Prepare contracts and tender documents)** - not sure exactly what that means
    • Prepare construction specifications, costs and material estimates
    • **(Supervise and train other technologists, technicians and drafters)**
I have 1 duty not listed in the NOC above that's appearing in 2232 Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians, and 1 duty in the 2233 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians
  • How closely NOC should match the job duties for PR work experience?
  • Who is responsible in providing me a document that lists my job duties, and what's it called? Reference letter / job letter?
  • Is it ethical to ask my HR(?) to match my job duties as closely as possible to the NOC I will provide to her? For example, "prepare contract and tender documents" and "write technical reports" in the NOC are a bit vague. Can I ask the HR person to include it in my duties if I do something related to this?
  • Can I include a few NOCs in the application that match some of my job duties?
  • If I change the job to similar one, but the one that matches different NOC - can this 2 experiences be combined? (say half a year on one and half on another, similar fields in Mechanical Engineering industry)

Or should I just change jobs to something that matches NOC 100%? I enjoy my current job and don't want to change.

------
tl;dr:
How closely NOC should match the job duties for PR work experience?
Did anyone have their application rejected due to mismatch between NOC and actual job duties?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi everyone, I have graduated with a Mechanical Engineering Technology Diploma in May and just received my work permit for 3 years.

Here is the little dillemma that I am having. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me. I want to make sure I am getting the right work experience, that can be later used for PR application.

The duties that I perform at my current place doesn't 100% match the NOC.

No one's does, nor should they (that would look suspicious).

Here is the closest NOC I could find: (in brackets are the one I don't perform at my job) (6 or 7 out of 9 match)

I would say that's a pretty good match. In addition to duties and responsibilities, you have to pay attention to the lead statement (the summary paragraph at the top of the NOC description) to make sure it fits your situation. It is usually a good idea to have a one-sentence description of what your company does and for whom (who the client/customer is...).

• 2253 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians
    • Develop and prepare engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data
    • Operate computer-assisted design (CAD) and drafting workstations
    • Develop and prepare design sketches
    • Complete documentation packages and produce drawing sets
    • Check and verify design drawings to conform to specifications and design data
    • **(Write technical reports)**
    • **(Prepare contracts and tender documents)** - not sure exactly what that means
    • Prepare construction specifications, costs and material estimates
    • **(Supervise and train other technologists, technicians and drafters)**
I have 1 duty not listed in the NOC above that's appearing in 2232 Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians, and 1 duty in the 2233 Industrial engineering and manufacturing technologists and technicians
  • How closely NOC should match the job duties for PR work experience?
Majority should match, as well as the lead statement.
  • Who is responsible in providing me a document that lists my job duties, and what's it called? Reference letter / job letter?
Reference letter, letter of employment. You can ask your manager or direct supervisor, or ask HR. Many prepare a draft of the letter to have someone finalize/sign, to ensure all the required details are in the letter.
  • Is it ethical to ask my HR(?) to match my job duties as closely as possible to the NOC I will provide to her?
  • For example, "prepare contract and tender documents" and "write technical reports" in the NOC are a bit vague. Can I ask the HR person to include it in my duties if I do something related to this?
They are "general" so that it is easier for people with more specific duties to "match." If your job description is missing some key duties that you actually perform, then it is fine to ask HR to add them (they might say no). Of course it is not ethical to ask if you do not perform those duties...
  • Can I include a few NOCs in the application that match some of my job duties?
No need, just pick the best one.
  • If I change the job to similar one, but the one that matches different NOC - can this 2 experiences be combined? (say half a year on one and half on another, similar fields in Mechanical Engineering industry)
Yes.

Or should I just change jobs to something that matches NOC 100%?
No need, that's going a bit overboard : )

Did anyone have their application rejected due to mismatch between NOC and actual job duties?
MANY people do. However, from what you've written, you don't have a major reason to worry. Can't tell much without seeing the actual job description in your letter of reference, though..