+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NJ - Ontario License exchange

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
Search for DO11 over internet and try calling the number 609 292 4102. I was able to get the license exchanged after the initial decline.
Thanks for your reply! For DO-11, will they send the digital version or must be mail? Which option should I request? Copy of Driver license application or Issue Date of Driver? Still don’t get why the driver license issue date printed on the license itself doesn’t count...

KanadianGuy

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Thanks for your reply! For DO-11, will they send the digital version or must be mail? Which option should I request? Copy of Driver license application or Issue Date of Driver? Still don’t get why the driver license issue date printed on the license itself doesn’t count...
Drivers License is one thing but along with it they are ensuring that u have a good driving experience as well. A 10 year old drivers license with 10 accidents would mean nothing. THats just how i understood it.
So they are asking for a DL and the driving abstract whihc shows that u have been a good driver.

I dont think DMV provide a digital version...I mailed a check of $15 along with DO11 request form, and got it mailed to a friends address in USA, after verifying over whatsapp that it was a good and useful copy i got it shipped over to canada. Its little tricky, so better to call the number and talk to someone from that department in the morning to understand the process. the ladies over phone were nice. good luck.

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
Drivers License is one thing but along with it they are ensuring that u have a good driving experience as well. A 10 year old drivers license with 10 accidents would mean nothing. THats just how i understood it.
So they are asking for a DL and the driving abstract whihc shows that u have been a good driver.

I dont think DMV provide a digital version...I mailed a check of $15 along with DO11 request form, and got it mailed to a friends address in USA, after verifying over whatsapp that it was a good and useful copy i got it shipped over to canada. Its little tricky, so better to call the number and talk to someone from that department in the morning to understand the process. the ladies over phone were nice. good luck.
dear friend, thanks for your advice, i have reached out to NJ DMV for both DO-11 and DO-21 now ( i paid$15 for a non-certified complete drive history in digital version but this is not accepted by Ontario too...this has given full record of my driver experience as supplement to my driver license. I have filed a complain with DriveTest centre too, will share the outcome. I really hope this can be corrected and no one else moving from NJ to Ontario will suffer the same problem going forward, it is really unnecessary trouble for a new comer to this country...

bharanidharanek

Apr 7, 2018
Hi All, So, in the DO-11 form, can you please let me know which option among these I would have to select?
1. Copy of Driver License Application
2. Issue Date of Driver
3. Name and Address of Driver
4. Address History of Driver

I initially obtained driver's license in 2016, do not have my expired license cards and have renewed it in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020! So, would I have to ask for a copy of the same for each renewal?

Also, below these 4 options, there is another question "Date you want covered:". What does this mean?

Any help would be a great help as I am planning to move to Canada in a couple of weeks.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/DO-11.pdf

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
Hi All, So, in the DO-11 form, can you please let me know which option among these I would have to select?
1. Copy of Driver License Application
2. Issue Date of Driver
3. Name and Address of Driver
4. Address History of Driver

I initially obtained driver's license in 2016, do not have my expired license cards and have renewed it in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020! So, would I have to ask for a copy of the same for each renewal?

Also, below these 4 options, there is another question "Date you want covered:". What does this mean?

Any help would be a great help as I am planning to move to Canada in a couple of weeks.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/license/DO-11.pdf
Choose 1. Leave the date open but max they can go is 5 years. You need to pay for each record as I understand but better call them to clarify.

Reactions: bharanidharanek

bharanidharanek

Apr 7, 2018
Also, whats the address to which I need to send the AO-11 form to in NJ? I tried searching online, but am not able to find.

For DO-21 form, the address is mentioned clearly in https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/driverhist.htm.
But for DO-11 form, the address isn't mentioned anywhere.

Can someone please help. Am on hold with NJ DMV for past 2 days!!!!!! And when I visited the trenton DMV, they first didnt allow me inside and the guy at the door wasn't able to understand my question at all. Can't blame him :)

VKR123

Jan 2, 2021
Also, whats the address to which I need to send the AO-11 form to in NJ? I tried searching online, but am not able to find.

For DO-21 form, the address is mentioned clearly in https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/license/driverhist.htm.
But for DO-11 form, the address isn't mentioned anywhere.

Can someone please help. Am on hold with NJ DMV for past 2 days!!!!!! And when I visited the trenton DMV, they first didnt allow me inside and the guy at the door wasn't able to understand my question at all. Can't blame him :)
Hi, It is mentioned in Do 11 form itself. I noticed the following address on that form

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Business & Government Services
P.O. Box 146
Trenton, NJ 08666-0146
609-292-4102

Reactions: bharanidharanek

bharanidharanek

Apr 7, 2018
Hi, It is mentioned in Do 11 form itself. I noticed the following address on that form

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Business & Government Services
P.O. Box 146
Trenton, NJ 08666-0146
609-292-4102
Thank you. I called the DMV and they said to mail the DO-11 and Do-21 forms to the addresses mentioned on the forms top left corner.

goofy123

Aug 14, 2021
I am facing the same issue with Drive Test now (driver license issue date not avl in driver history abstract), even though it is clear in the license itself. The abstract does say "Current status - in good standing". The license is set to expire in Sep 2021. Few questions:

1) If there is a break in NJ licenses, will Drive Test consider only the last/latest one?
2) DO-11 form:
a) Can I give my friend's address in section A?
b) For 'DATE YOU WANT COVERED', do we need to enter the license issue date (since that is the most important)?
c) Does the package need to contain the filled form, check for $15 and a copy of NJ driver's license? Anything else?
3) I was told that an ON license is good to have before the imported car is registered in ON. But I finished the safety inspection for the car in Canadian Tire a week ago and the safety certificate is now valid for only 4 more weeks. Since this NJ DO-11 will take approximately 3-4 weeks, I am worried that the safety inspection cost will go waste.
a) Can I get Canadian insurance using my NJ license? If yes, will the cost be higher? Can I get it for a month or a quarter rather than an year and change to a diff co. later?
b) Can I get vehicle permit/plates in Service Ontario, using my NJ license?
c) Once I get ON license later, do I need to update insurance provider and Service Ontario?

I badly need help here..any reply from anyone is much appreciated! Thanks.

KanadianGuy

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
I am facing the same issue with Drive Test now (driver license issue date not avl in driver history abstract), even though it is clear in the license itself. The abstract does say "Current status - in good standing". The license is set to expire in Sep 2021. Few questions:

1) If there is a break in NJ licenses, will Drive Test consider only the last/latest one?
2) DO-11 form:
a) Can I give my friend's address in section A?
b) For 'DATE YOU WANT COVERED', do we need to enter the license issue date (since that is the most important)?
c) Does the package need to contain the filled form, check for $15 and a copy of NJ driver's license? Anything else?
3) I was told that an ON license is good to have before the imported car is registered in ON. But I finished the safety inspection for the car in Canadian Tire a week ago and the safety certificate is now valid for only 4 more weeks. Since this NJ DO-11 will take approximately 3-4 weeks, I am worried that the safety inspection cost will go waste.
a) Can I get Canadian insurance using my NJ license? If yes, will the cost be higher? Can I get it for a month or a quarter rather than an year and change to a diff co. later?
b) Can I get vehicle permit/plates in Service Ontario, using my NJ license?
c) Once I get ON license later, do I need to update insurance provider and Service Ontario?

I badly need help here..any reply from anyone is much appreciated! Thanks.
some bits of information i could recall as:

1. Call the phone number u see on the form DO11,and ask the questions around dates to them...they were easily approachable when i connected wiht them a year ago.

2. Get the mail sent to someone in USA and once u r able to verify (though photos) that they delivered what u r looking for, then only get it shipped back to you in canada.

3. I dont think You will get the Canadian insurance on USA license. I would say renew you USA insurance and keep it as long as you are not getting ur license in ON, this will save u some bucks too.

i know this is frustrating but you will find ur way. good luck.

mitwa1990

Star Member
Dec 14, 2013
NOC Code......
I came from USA to Canada on 18th August'21 on work permit and here is my experience to get a "G" DL:

Before I came to Canada, I contacted NJ DMV by filing online form to provide me Date of Issue of Driver and Abstract History. Date of Issue of Driver application should be sent by postal mail. Make sure to also have all the expired licenses with you.

I went to the Oakville,ON drivetest area. Service Ontario wont provide you with your first driving license.

Once I reached the booth, I provided her with my active driving license, all the expired driving license and date of issue of driver that I received from NJ DMV. They took all my driving license and gave me the "G" license.

Things to keep in mind:

- If you dont have all the expired driving license (because you disposed them or any other reason), fill the form D0-11 form and send it to DMV using postal mail and ask for all the copies of driving license you had over the years. They will charge $15 for every copy they send it to you. You need to select the option as "Copy of Driving License Application". So in my case I renewed my DL 4 times over the years but I didn't had 2 of DL. So I paid $30 ($15 each) to receive the certified copy of the driving license that was missing.
- If you have all the expired driving license then you just need the abstract history. You can order that online or through mail.

They will require the continuity of all the driving license that you had over the period of years.