+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nexus Dual Citizenship (still have to use old passport?)

alexukie

Feb 22, 2017
Hi I am new to the forum. My wife has Nexus now for 5+ years through her Venezuelan passport - she has recently got her Canadian passport and updated it with Nexus. However the US customs agent said she still has to enter USA with her Venezuelan passport if she wants to use Nexus because her US visa is still valid (for another 8 years!!!) even though she has now Canadian passport and it is updated in the NEXUS system. He said US visa in Venezuelan passport has precedence over Canadian passport.

It makes no sense to me? Why does she need her Venezuelan passport to travel if she has Nexus and Canadian passport. Did anyone else come across this issue?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
alexukie said:
Hi I am new to the forum. My wife has Nexus now for 5+ years through her Venezuelan passport - she has recently got her Canadian passport and updated it with Nexus. However the US customs agent said she still has to enter USA with her Venezuelan passport if she wants to use Nexus because her US visa is still valid (for another 8 years!!!) even though she has now Canadian passport and it is updated in the NEXUS system. He said US visa in Venezuelan passport has precedence over Canadian passport.

It makes no sense to me? Why does she need her Venezuelan passport to travel if she has Nexus and Canadian passport. Did anyone else come across this issue?
I had my nexus when I was a Indian citizen. After becoming Canadian, i got my documents updated(not Nexus though) and renounced my indian citizenship and every time crossing the USA border, they used to ask to see my Canadian passport. I had to show my Canadian passport as my nexus was showing Indian nationality. I then got my nexus card reissued with Canadian citizenship.

I think on her nexus card, the citizenship is showing as Venezuela, right? Go to nearest Nexus office and talk to them and ask for their opinion and then ask them to re-issue her nexus with her canadian citizenship on it. That may help.